Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does inflation cause increase in circumference of skin tube?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does inflation cause increase in circumference of skin tube?

I am starting back restoring after taking a year off, having had great success with the TLC-X. I was wondering about how inflation methods affect the skin tube. On the old forum, I recall a lot of discussion, and disagreements, about skin growth details, so this question may start one of those spirited discussions.

It seems like the inflation methods that I have seen would cause the skin tube to grow in circumference as well as length. Growth in circumference would create a "baggy" skin tube, which of course is not desirable. Just tugging or manually stretching seems like it would encourage growth only in length, and therefore would be preferable. But, so many guys seem to be using inflation. Has it been proven, at least by experience, that inflation does NOT produce growth in the circumference of the skin tube? I hope some experienced types, like Ron and Science Monk will help me with this.

The TLC-X Air keeps the rolled-over end of the skin tube puckered up in quite a narrow state during wear. When used with the TLC Selects, the system lets you lengthen the overall device gradually as you gain slack. In that way you will keep the SAME zone of your skin tube always falling at the skinniest part of the device.

So whatever the effect of inflation regarding widening the skin tube, that effect will never act upon the zone you've chosen as your constant roll-over point.

We have a formula (see attached spreadsheet) for helping restorers choose where upon their present skin they might like their Future Flaccid Roll-over Point (FFRP) to fall. We had a discussion of this at the old forum but it was never really made any clearer than what I've just typed. For now, just look at the spreadsheet and get back to me with your questions. Maybe we'll finally come up with the right drawings and explanations to make FFRP clear.
    Attached Files
    -Ron Low
    Service@TLCTugger.com
    847 414-1692 Chicago

Comment

I have gone from a CI3 to a CI5+ in the last 8 months or so. I have only been inflating with the DTR using direct air. My skin tube is nice and tight with no bagginess at all.
      Oh, and I don't wrap when inflating like chuck shows on the DTR sight. I just blow it up and let it do what it's going to do. I hope this helps you. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by sixty+ View Post
        I am starting back restoring after taking a year off, having had great success with the TLC-X. I was wondering about how inflation methods affect the skin tube. On the old forum, I recall a lot of discussion, and disagreements, about skin growth details, so this question may start one of those spirited discussions.

It seems like the inflation methods that I have seen would cause the skin tube to grow in circumference as well as length. Growth in circumference would create a "baggy" skin tube, which of course is not desirable. Just tugging or manually stretching seems like it would encourage growth only in length, and therefore would be preferable. But, so many guys seem to be using inflation. Has it been proven, at least by experience, that inflation does NOT produce growth in the circumference of the skin tube? I hope some experienced types, like Ron and Science Monk will help me with this.
        Answer is: Nope. And as more and more guys use inflation (or RTM, or anything else), this will become a known and observed, real-life fact (however misunderstood it remains).

Comment

It's good to hear this myth getting busted everywhere I go...
          ​​​​​
          ​​​​​​KOT!

Comment

Working...
          X