Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum code of conduct

I'll be brief. Censorship has arrived.

We each need to start treating the other guests of this forum with courtesy and respect. Imagine that the stranger you're replying to is actually a family member or someone you know and like, posting anonymously.

The rule that keeps us in safe waters is: address the IDEA that you are discussing, rather than yielding to the temptation to comment on the source of the idea.

I'm going to start deleting stuff I don't like. If it's not a repeat offender I will probably take the time to PM the author's words to him/her, in case they want to re-phrase and re-post.

When you see something you don't think belongs here, click the flag icon in the posting to flag that post so Moderators will be notified.

I suppose we should write a sticky post for every forum section with any specific guideline for what discourse belongs there.
    -Ron Low
    Service@TLCTugger.com
    847 414-1692 Chicago

Good. I have found the ignore feature works very well too.
    Visit my restoration progress journal.

Comment

Originally posted by Reality
      As long as we're commenting, here's something I've never seen the importance of: I understand the "Hey, I need a better choice of words here" thing, but I've never understood why you would want to remove yourself from one or more member's contributions artificially. If you don't want to read him, or respond, then don't. That's simple enough.

Nobody here is writing great prose. But the "ignore" feature seems a bit angsty in purpose, like the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears. (Or maybe...........like cutting of a foreskin because you think it's dirty? I always look at root causes). Is creating a distanced, "less than real" list for yourself ever a good thing in the long run? Delusional rants from somebody aside, doesn't that smack of a petulant act? Never understood supporting that, but then some people are stronger, or less defensive than others. Maybe it's a social media/millennial thing.

But whatever, people can artificially limit themselves here however they want, not up to me, thankfully (in pixels, though; the real world has a way of shouting in your ear).
      I actually agree with most of this. I've used "ignore" features on other forums, but it's usually because a user's comments are especially inane (e.g., terrible spelling, frequent off-topic posts, lack of significant contributions), as opposed to their vocalizing an unpopular opinion. Fallacies should be countered with facts and discussion, not ignored in the hopes that others will figure out what you believe.

My point is that the ignore feature has its time and place but absolutely is not a panacea and I would encourage others to not lean too heavily on it. I suppose that is, in part, the point of this thread, as censorship from the admins is a different tool for maintaining civility in the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by eeeee View Post

I actually agree with most of this. I've used "ignore" features on other forums, but it's usually because a user's comments are especially inane (e.g., terrible spelling, frequent off-topic posts, lack of significant contributions), as opposed to their vocalizing an unpopular opinion. Fallacies should be countered with facts and discussion, not ignored in the hopes that others will figure out what you believe.
        I'm not here to engage as if this was a debate society, and I have to deal with heaps of pedantry in my day job, and at least I'm paid to get to do that. I am here to share my experiences with tugging and support other tuggers. I only occasionally visit at this point, and I know what I'm doing, so chest-puffing and demonstrations of superior knowledge are kind of a bore, so I ignore them.
        Visit my restoration progress journal.

Comment

Time will tell, but I have a suspicion that the stuff that may end up on the cutting room floor is the stuff that keeps me coming back in search of both knowledge and entertainment.

Comment

Working...
          X