Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the old Foreskin-Restoration.net/forum ? (Or, who's dumb enough to trust GoDaddy?!?)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saggyrestorer
    replied
    If I've learnt anything from being in the industry, it's to stay away from GoDaddy as far as you can.

Leave a comment:

• Gun Del Sol
    replied
    Now I finally understand - "where there is a will, there is a way."

Leave a comment:

• Mitchell7
    replied
    The biggest loss frm the last forum was the descriptions from men who had been circumcised as adults on the terrible negative impacts it had on them and how much sensitivity and pleasure they had truly lost from this disgusting practice. That is truly valuable nowadays but perhaps there is a way to find those posts somewhere on the internet and repost them here.

Leave a comment:

• dragons
    replied
    Ron,
    I do have to ask with a forum the size of this one, why are you not doing your own hosting on a dedicated server or vps? Please don't answer me with something like I don't know how - it just isn't that hard to learn how.
    GoDaddy has a shocking reputation in the hosting world, and really does not surprise me to see what happened to you. NO company can be trusted to do you backups EVER doing your own is the only way to ensure it is done.
    If you need help to host a server yourself and it really isn't that much more expensive I would be happy to assist you to learn, and help you with any urgent matters that might come up (rarely).

Take a look at Linode, the $10 p/m plan should suite this forum just fine, if it's not enough you can easily step up to the next level.

The other thing that concerns me gravely is the fact your still using vBulletin, there is so much better out there, namely XenForo, which is written by the same authors as vBulletin before the IB takeover of JelSoft aka the version of vBulletin (3.7) that you ran on the old site.

Leave a comment:

• OzVic
    replied
    Well it's excellent the Forum is back, tragic about the loss of all the excellent info / resource considering the huge total amount of hours put in by the administrators and members, but Godaddy won't be the first & or the last to let people and society down due to incompetence and greed, many business have lost a lot on remotely controlled servers and cloud servers are not immune to it either.

A fresh start to rebuild over time with peoples help, however the biggest pity is this has played into the hands of promoters of circ as the old site I believe did a lot of good in keeping the next generation as nature intended as there were many great google links to posts when searched on the Net.

From the ashes we arise, our cause is a just and a worthy one in a modern world, not stuck or myriad in myths, superstition and barbarism of centuries past!

Leave a comment:

• javeflake
    replied
    bummer, I had my only starting images on the last forum. At least I have a picture of myself 6 months hosted elsewhere, which imo looks almost the same (CI-1 to CI-2).
    I will still be able to compare the exact texture difference after dekeratinization.

Leave a comment:

• Tugster
    replied
    Geez sorry to hear this. Haven't been on in awhile and hate to see this happened.

Leave a comment:

• Gun Del Sol
    replied
    I was a member of the previous website. However I never really contributed anything. Mostly because I am already almost a year and one half year into restoring. But to help make this new site better I will start taking pictures and giving tips and such. I still have a long way to go despite all of the progress I have made. Rome certainly was not built in a day, though!!!

Just keep tugging!

Leave a comment:

• Menthol
    replied
    Wow I was rather flustered when the site was suddenly totally different, at first I wondered if someone took over the domain. Thanks for the detailed explanation. And at the same time, wow, what amateurish workflow at GoDaddy. I did know that the some big hosting companies still have the oldest of semi-manual procedures, but this is nevertheless embarassing.

Leave a comment:

• DTR-User
    replied
    Ron thank you for all your efforts and time... May this forum grow up as in former times!
    Best regards from Germany

Leave a comment:

• Orical
    replied
    I was wondering what happened. I'm not a regular by any means, but I do like to pop in once or month or so.

This is a rather unfortunate incident, and I know it can really bother you that you could've done something about it if you were more familiar with webhosting. But, places like GoDaddy and vBulletin exist so you don't have to be an expert - they take your money and ask you to trust them. And, when they fail you, there's very, very little you can do. Even though vBulletin can essentially do the same thing to this website, I think they value their customers a lot more and will be the best choice for now. However, if you ever personally meet and befriend a professional webhost (or even hobbyist), they may ultimately be the best option as it's relatively easy to maintain a website and (even one as big as the lost version) when you're already set up to host multiple sites on the same server.

Best of luck with this site! I'll be doing a small part to help rebuild the community as I think this is an important community for the Internet to have.

Leave a comment:

• Eunuch
    replied
    Originally posted by parsecskin View Post
    Surely you MUST be joking!

Leave a comment:

• parsecskin
    replied
    Originally posted by Eunuch View Post
    What an unfortunate disaster. We also lost the most colorful members that made the forum interesting like suicidal123 , non, etc.
    Surely you MUST be joking!

Leave a comment:

• Eunuch
    replied
    What an unfortunate disaster. We also lost the most colorful members that made the forum interesting like suicidal123 , non, etc.

Leave a comment:

• jm20
    replied
    Hi Ron, Sorry to hear about this.

Here is a suggestion maybe:
    I think another way to restore some of the old forum data back is by using one of the web archive websites, like for example this link:
    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...howthread.php*
    that stores about 14,000 URLS from the old forum. Also you might use google to search for the old forum specific urls and then use the "cached" link to see the content. I'm sure at least that way some of the data/guides/etc can be copied over to the new forum. Another option is like some mentioned that perhaps BigDaddy stores some back up on one of their hard drives that is cached and can be retrieved by a software like magic partition and etc. If they can return data from a malfunctioned airplane black box I'm sure they can do it with the forum too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X