Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retaining - Does it Help with Skin Growth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retaining - Does it Help with Skin Growth?

I usually have about 70% glans coverage most of the time. Up until now, I haven't been retaining when I'm not tugging. I figured that increased sensitivity/dekeratinization would happen gradually as I gained more skin coverage. Now I'm wondering if I should begin retaining? I know retaining won't provide the tension needed for skin growth, but is it helpful for promoting progress when added to a tugging routine?

I want to hear everyone else's opinions on this one

My guess is that it would at least help "train" your skin to stay in place, and should help with the process as there is still some force being exerted. But this is my guess - not talking from experience or subject knowledge.

Comment

Fair warning, user “Reality” will likely strike this thread too with the rage of a thousand toddlers as to why claims of retaining contributing to restoration don’t hold water.

With that said, as a manual tugger, I would be glad to give my two cents. I have spent months manual tugging and retaining in between sessions and also months of not retaining in between sessions - I have a lot of experience with both. Personally, I have observed retaining to be very helpful. When I retain in between tugging sessions, then my skin never has a chance completely relax or reset to a completely non-stretched state - thus, for the next session, my skin is a little more stretched out when I begin the next session a few hours later - and by the end of the day I’ve stretched my skin out more than on days when I don’t retain.

Comment

To clarify, I have never stated here nor in any other post on this forum that I believe foreskin restoration is "permanently stretching skin."

I'll try and rephrase what I want to say with as few words as possible, lest they be used against me....my BELIEF is as follows...

Your skin can stretch to a certain degree temporarily without ever actually inducing mitosis (which is the goal....right amount of tension in order to induce mitosis.) It can accommodate certain tension without there being a demand to grow new cells. I find that when you don't retain in between tugging sessions, then your skin sort of "unstretches" between sessions and then you're starting from square 1 at the next session. Like this, you less frequently stretch your skin to the point that creates that kind of tension which induces mitosis the best.

Comment

Yup. Listen to Reality. He may be full of himself and abrasive at times, but he does know what he's talking about. Martyn, if you have 70% coverage most of the time, definitely start to retain. You can probably do so easily with an O-ring.

Comment

Yes, I'm full of myself. All that tubing, my other organs, my fluids, all of which I can name which means I'm full of myself.

Well, actually I'm full of smiley faces (see there's one right there). Ok, also with the Jaws theme underneath. I got a dorsal fin aimed at restoration myth.

(oh jeeze, is this gonna start the "dorsal"/"top side" thing again?).

Comment

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. Although there seems to be different opinions on retaining, I still find all of your ideas and insights to be helpful.

Comment

Retaining won't grow skin, but it's not without merit--provided you have enough skin to do it with ease and considtency. It definitely helps increase sensitivity, and while skin can't be "trained" to stay forward, dekeratinization or even just an increase in moisture can help keep the skin forward on its own (to an extent). Much like how skin can get sticky and cling to the glans on a hot day. If the glans is pushed back a bit while retaining that too can give temporary increased coverage.

Comment

What is retaining; is it tugging and then holding the skin there?

Comment

Will de keratinization occur if retaining using a retainer device or must one retain only with skin to skin?
                    Tugger1

Comment

Originally posted by niord View Post
                      What is retaining; is it tugging and then holding the skin there?
                      Most people use it to mean holding the skin over the glans when not tugging. Typically it is used to help dekeratinize, before that would happen by simply being covered without the need to retain.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by tuguser View Post
                        Will de keratinization occur if retaining using a retainer device or must one retain only with skin to skin?
                        Are you asking if protecting the glans from abrasion and keeping it moist, whether by using your skin or using some other material, such as a silicon covering, will you dekeratinize? I cannot answer that, however, if the non-skin device keeps the skin moist and protected as well as the skin, I would expect you would. However, the skin might provide additional moisture and perhaps other factors beyond what some other material may be able to provide, so they non-skin material may not be as effective as skin.

Perhaps someone who has tried this will chime in with their experience...

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
                          I usually have about 70% glans coverage most of the time. Up until now, I haven't been retaining when I'm not tugging. I figured that increased sensitivity/dekeratinization would happen gradually as I gained more skin coverage. Now I'm wondering if I should begin retaining? I know retaining won't provide the tension needed for skin growth, but is it helpful for promoting progress when added to a tugging routine?
                          I have not worried about retaining, and I cannot say. However, it would be easy to find out, simply try restoring each way, say 6 months one way, then six months the other way, then repeat for two more cycles and see if either results in more skin growth. Or choose whatever time period gives you confidence that you can compare results.

Regards

Comment

Ok so I’ve only been at this for about 6months and I feel like this is a dumb question, but here goes… I’m aiming for full flaccid coverage in order to look natural and have some natural function. Will I have to use a retainer in order to maintain that coverage when I get it or will the skin naturally stay put as I stretch it/grow new skin? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cipat View Post
                              Ok so I’ve only been at this for about 6months and I feel like this is a dumb question, but here goes… I’m aiming for full flaccid coverage in order to look natural and have some natural function. Will I have to use a retainer in order to maintain that coverage when I get it or will the skin naturally stay put as I stretch it/grow new skin? Thanks!
                              The restored skin will always be mobile when manipulated.

If your goal is to have the natural-looking flaccid coverage that doesn't need a retainer, then first thing, never stretch your skin around anything wider than necessary. Second, tug until you have enough slack to allow for that. And I say THEN tug 10% MORE to allow for the relaxation of the skin that you had been tensioning. So 40 months becomes 44 months.

So choose a goal statement that lets you clearly mark the day that goal is met. Maybe something like, "I can walk the dog around the whole block and arrive home with flaccid coverage with no device, 5 tries in a row."
                              -Ron Low
                              [email protected]
                              847 414-1692 Chicago

Comment

Working...
                              X