Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dermatologists and Foreskin Restoration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dermatologists and Foreskin Restoration

    I have a dermatologist appointment in a few day. How much help would she be for questions about foreskin restoration? Foreskin IS skin after all.

  • #2
    Ask her about skin expansion, not foreskin restoration, which she won't know much or anything about. Why would she? Our practice is a grass roots practice, not "medical", or 'scientific". Actually, so-called foreskin "restoration" is a misnomer. We don't, no one does, actual "foreskin restoration". We expand shaft skin(and some mucosa) via cycles of tension so that it forms enough loose skin which we roll down to form a tube, so that it covers the end of our penis similar to a foreskin. This tube is NOT a foreskin, it only looks similar to a foreskin.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hard to know how much help she can offer, but if nothing else, you may educate her. You will probably have to explain to her that we are expanding, or growing skin similar to what happens when someone gets fat, grows taller, or enlarges a body piercing. Or, essentially what doctors do to grow skin in preparation to covering body parts that lost skin due to a burn injury or something like that.

      You may also need to tell her why, that the foreskin is valuable for sexual pleasure, both for the man and his partners. You may want to bring a hand out, or a piece of paper with some links in case she wants to research it on her own. She likely will not have much time, so the conversation will probably be quite short.

      If she does have some background that might be helpful to us, it might be a very interesting conversation. Please let us know how it goes.

      Regards

      Comment


      • #4
        I feel like there are two ways to go about this.

        a. The first would be to ask her how much she knows about tissue expansion.

        b. The second would be to ask her how much she knows about foreskin restoration.

        Both options would allow me to ask her about what she knows about foreskin restoration.

        The second option is more clear, and both options in the end would quite likely require me to explain what it is.

        I don't know whether asking it clearly or leading up to it is the better option.

        Put yourself in the shoes of a dermatologist. You ultimately are a healer. You help people with warts, sunburns, and in my case, acne. You probably see nude bodies time to time, and if it is male, he is almost certainly circumcised.

        All of a sudden, a male patient tells you he is reversing his tribal mutilation as much as he can, and is telling you things you never knew.

        How do you react?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by savethechildren View Post
          I feel like there are two ways to go about this.

          a. The first would be to ask her how much she knows about tissue expansion.

          b. The second would be to ask her how much she knows about foreskin restoration.

          Both options would allow me to ask her about what she knows about foreskin restoration.

          The second option is more clear, and both options in the end would quite likely require me to explain what it is.

          I don't know whether asking it clearly or leading up to it is the better option.

          Put yourself in the shoes of a dermatologist. You ultimately are a healer. You help people with warts, sunburns, and in my case, acne. You probably see nude bodies time to time, and if it is male, he is almost certainly circumcised.

          All of a sudden, a male patient tells you he is reversing his tribal mutilation as much as he can, and is telling you things you never knew.

          How do you react?
          Good post. Like you, I see two reactions from her(based on a bit of personal insight):

          1. Frustration relating to her role as "resource" being demeaned, if she feels "lectured" to (believe me she has a personal history of being both lectured to and demeaned by her superiors in school), or,

          2. Interest in learning new information. Her profession mandates new information, so it isn't like there isn't some precedent, in this regard.

          So, in the interests of communication....................try your best, no "attitude", go for it.

          Comment


          • #6
            I asked her about it. She suggested either going to a plastic surgeon, or a urologist. I don't plan on getting surgery, so the urologist would be the option.

            Although she wasn't familiar with restoration,, she was respectful.

            Comment


            • #7
              That is good. Since she suggested a plastic surgeon, it sounds like she has almost no knowledge about foreskin restoration, and, depending upon what you asked, perhaps no knowledge about skin expansion either. But if you don't ask, you don't know. And, you may have given her some new knowledge, so that is good.

              A urologist may not have any more insight. I brought it up with my urologist to see what his thoughts were. He first thought I meant surgical restoration and argued against it, saying it was not a good idea. After I explained I was talking about nonsurgical, skin expansion, he was dismissive, saying there was no difference in feeling between circumscribed and intact. When I pointed out that I and others had actually found a difference, he dismissed that, with body language that made it clear he was not interested in discussing it further, so I dropped it at that point.

              YMMV.

              Regards

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by greg_b View Post
                That is good. Since she suggested a plastic surgeon, it sounds like she has almost no knowledge about foreskin restoration, and, depending upon what you asked, perhaps no knowledge about skin expansion either. But if you don't ask, you don't know. And, you may have given her some new knowledge, so that is good.

                A urologist may not have any more insight. I brought it up with my urologist to see what his thoughts were. He first thought I meant surgical restoration and argued against it, saying it was not a good idea. After I explained I was talking about nonsurgical, skin expansion, he was dismissive, saying there was no difference in feeling between circumscribed and intact. When I pointed out that I and others had actually found a difference, he dismissed that, with body language that made it clear he was not interested in discussing it further, so I dropped it at that point.

                YMMV.

                Regards
                Due respect - it sounds like what you are saying is that plastic surgeons NOR urologists will help. Who then would you recommend I consult?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yep. Most doctors are turds. Why do you think they call it a "practice"? I don't like the idea of someone "practicing" on ME. I want an expert! I can "practice" on myself.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by savethechildren View Post

                    Due respect - it sounds like what you are saying is that plastic surgeons NOR urologists will help. Who then would you recommend I consult?
                    Sorry, I have only my experience to go on, and, no doctor I have met and mentioned foreskin restoration to has had any knowledge about it, and I would say more than have were dismissive. But, I have not been to a plastic surgeon, and indeed, If I wanted to try and get medical advice regarding restoration, that is the specialty I would choose. Especially plastic surgeons that do sexual reassignment surgery and/or treat burn victims. But at the current state of affairs, I have not felt any need for that.

                    My urologist was the most dismissive of all. And my wife's OBGYN was pleading with us to circumcise our fist son. So, no I have not had any positive experiences. There is an organization called Doctors Opposing Circumcision, DOC, url: https://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/ and they are at least supportive, but I have no idea if they have much knowledge to impart. But, you may want to try them for a referral if you are trying to get a doctors advice about restoration.

                    Don't get me wrong, I would love to have doctors working with us. I happen to think they bear a lot of the responsibility for harming infants by amputating the foreskin, and should be stepping up to help us. Sigh, I do not see that happening anytime soon. And, I know there are supportive doctors, they have been reported in these and other forums form time to time. But so far, I have not read or heard of any that had any useful advice beyond what you can find here.

                    Regards

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X