Tape causing skin problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape causing skin problems

The tape I was using caused a reaction. It was the sports tapes like coach and ace. I thought I was having itchy skin due to skin growth but turns out it was having a reaction to the tape.

I was originally using mefix tape but only a few times at the start but stopped because I sports tape was stronger and I didn’t want to waste the mefix tape since I wanted to practice with the sports tape.

Turns out the coach and ace tape broke me out. I’m not sure about the mefix tape because I only used it a few times I’m the beginning so I’m going to try the mefix again and see if it’s ok because it’s water based adhesive.

Has anyone experienced this?

Try paper tape meant for contact with human skin. It's what they use in the hospital when a patient has an allergic reaction to the adhesive on other tapes. It works; I used it for years.

Comment

It could've been the adhesive, or it could've been the material. Are you allergic to latex?

Stick with the medical tape for now (pun intended). I would think most brands are made to be hypoallergenic, so they should be safe. Whatever you end up using, though, test it out first on another patch of skin to make sure it doesn't cause irritation.

Comment

Try wearing the tape on another part of your body (like near your underarm), and see if it causes an adverse reaction there too. If it does, you have a allergy, or some other sensitivity, to the tape.

David
        World As Monkey Island
        I declared myself finished restoring with 3/4 erect coverage (CI-8.5) in 2005. I primarily used T-tape, strapping up and around my waist.
        I've participated in NORM meetings in San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle (RECAP), and Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Every doubt, reservation, or concern I had about my restoration was resolved by achieving additional foreskin LENGTH.....So just KOT !

Comment

For a product to be "hypoallergenic" it has to be proved as such in laboratory testing, and, receive that label officially (from the Federal Drug Admin, not Admins here), all of which costs money and time, so many manufacturers don't spend the money (and time) which this all takes, cross their fingers and hope for the best. Those products which DO have that lable HAVE jumped all the hurdles in order to take that specific niche, betting that the money and time spent will be made up by a niche position. So..............

Go for any tape with the hypoallergenic lable if you think it's the tape causing problems (which is what you said it was).

Comment

Lol

Comment

I bought 3m transpore medical tape and this hypoallergenic liquid adhesive called skin-tac recently on amazon.

I already had mefix tape in my possession but I wanted to experiment with the stronger transpore tape and the liquid adhesive.

I put it on and after sleeping with it on I became extremely itchy just like with the sports tape. I was very discouraged to say the least.

I waited a few days to heal again and just now I put on the mefix tape. I wrapped the transpore tape around the mefix to give it support and it’s not actually touching my skin since it’s on top of the mefix.

It seems like that sticky glue like adhesive is not really great for sensitive skin. I’m hoping the special water based adhesive of the mefix tape doesn’t break me out or I’m going to be super discouraged because it’s pretty much my only hope.

Also, that skin tac was way too sticky. I used alcohol and scrubbing it like crazy and it wasn’t even coming off the device. That stuff probably made my inner foreskin itch badly aswell even though it was hypoallergenic.

I’m praying that the mefix doesn’t break me out because I really don’t want to go back to the non tape methods.

Comment

Yeah, you can't add a substance not identified as hypoallergenic to an identified hypoallergenic substance and expect no reaction. I would suggest just using the tape without trying to use an additional adhesive. The tape itself should be sticky enough to hold. I've used it (in the form of paper tape) in the hospital and it held thick, complex dressings stuck to the patient without any problems (except for being compromised by leaking blood and plasma

Comment

Originally posted by Reality View Post
                  Yeah, you can't add a substance not identified as hypoallergenic to an identified hypoallergenic substance and expect no reaction. I would suggest just using the tape without trying to use an additional adhesive. The tape itself should be sticky enough to hold. I've used it (in the form of paper tape) in the hospital and it held thick, complex dressings stuck to the patient without any problems (except for being compromised by leaking blood and plasma

Hypoallergenic products can still break you out. The products were both hypoallergenic. It’s the adhesive in general that’s causing the skin problems.

I think your talking about the micropore tape and I’m well aware of that. I think it uses the same adhesive as transpore but I’ll check.

Both the tape I was using (transpore) and liquid adhesive (skintac) were labeled hypoallergenic.

Not sure which one caused it, probably both but I don’t wish to try again to find out.

I tested out the mefix tape wearing it for 2 days straight and report no problems. Turns out the water based adhesive of the mefix tape doesn’t break me out.

I use the transpore tape over over the mefix tape to give it more hold while I stretch but I’m not sure it works. It did hold pretty well for 2 days until it started to come off.

It’ll probably hold better the more skin I grow. I’m wondering if putting the liquid adhesive over the mefix tape than wrapping over it with the stronger transpore tape would have an effect.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

Hypoallergenic products can still break you out. The products were both hypoallergenic. It’s the adhesive in general that’s causing the skin problems.

I think your talking about the micropore tape and I’m well aware of that. I think it uses the same adhesive as transpore but I’ll check.

Both the tape I was using (transpore) and liquid adhesive (skintac) were labeled hypoallergenic.

Not sure which one caused it, probably both but I don’t wish to try again to find out.

I tested out the mefix tape wearing it for 2 days straight and report no problems. Turns out the water based adhesive of the mefix tape doesn’t break me out.

I use the transpore tape over over the mefix tape to give it more hold while I stretch but I’m not sure it works. It did hold pretty well for 2 days until it started to come off.

It’ll probably hold better the more skin I grow. I’m wondering if putting the liquid adhesive over the mefix tape than wrapping over it with the stronger transpore tape would have an effect.
                    I'll let you in on a trade secret. Hampton tape works great!
                    PROGRESS GALLERY

Comment

Working...
                    X