How long does it *really* take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it *really* take?

When I first started reading about restoration, most articles said it would take about six months to a year to accomplish. Now I’m hearing testimonials from guys who are saying they’ve been at it for *decades* and they still haven’t reached their ultimate goal. That’s pretty discouraging.

So does that mean this is something you have to keep at constantly for the rest of your life, just to maintain it? If you stop, does the skin just shrink back up and you’ll lose all the gains you’ve managed to make? I know people say holes for piercings always grow shut if you don’t keep something in them all the time. So is foreskin restoration just another case of “use it or lose it”? That’s pretty discouraging too.

Someone said that if you stop, you lose like 10% of what you gained. If new skin has grown, it wont just disappear.
    And the amount of time that it takes to achieve full coverage, varies for all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceCat View Post
      Someone said that if you stop, you lose like 10% of what you gained. If new skin has grown, it wont just disappear.
      And the amount of time that it takes to achieve full coverage, varies for all of us.
      Thanks, SpaceCat. I guess the 10% you lose is just stretched skin that draws back up without continual tension. I’ve only got about 10% so far, so maybe I should just quit while I’m… “a head.” (Get it?)

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceCat View Post
        The someone who said that might have been me. If so it was sort of a pulled from thin air number. But the idea is that once we start tugging we see the skin get stretched out, which is encouraging but it is not all due to actual proliferation of new cells. Some of it's distortion of the existing skin.

When we finally stop tugging we will see the skin appear less stretched out, but the new skin cells we have gained are staying.

So to account for this fact, I say tug 10% past your goal. That means you need a well-defined goal, like "I can walk the dog all the way around the block without getting uncovered, 5 tries in a row." You will know with certainty whether that has been met at any moment.

WHEN you hit the goal, STICK WITH the same tugging regimen for at least 10% more time, so like 40 months becomes 44 months.

If somebody told you they restored in a year, maybe they weren't lying. Maybe their goal was "I have enough slack to cover the whole glans during manipulation, while I have to wear the retaining cone to keep the glans covered otherwise."
        -Ron Low
        [email protected]
        847 414-1692 Chicago

Comment

Originally posted by Bill756 View Post
          it would take about six months to a year to accomplish.
          Maybe in the best case, ideal routine, ideal health, ideal skin type, small-scale goal scenario. You may occasionally come across unicorns who (claim to) go from CI-4 to CI-9 in less than a year, but these cases are the extreme exception. Oftentimes, as Ron says, the goal could be something relatively small. The key point is that "restored" has no measurable meaning, its definition changes depending on who you ask.
          From what I can tell, in most cases you will be in the game for at least a year, likely a couple of years, and potentially more than that. Those are vague timeframes on purpose.
          Some people say that you can expect to gain x mm of skin doing y technique for z hours every month. These are in almost all cases single data points, or a very small number of data points, and again, the best we can come up with is "keep on tugging", a generally accepted correlation between some function of tugging time and tension leads to growth, and a widely held belief that certain supplements or topical applications will improve growth.
          We all want fast results (we're men - we're naturally impatient, especially us younger folk) but even then, the most popular opinion is that it won't be "fast", developing a habit is key, and that persistence will eventually lead you to your goal.

Comment

Yet another thing to keep in mind is how much restoration has changed over the past 20 years or so. The TLC Tugger has been sort of the gold-standard of devices and I know it's undergone at least one major design change. Likewise, this community is one of the central hubs for information but by no means the only one, being flanked by a couple of subreddits for example. (Not to say Reddit is perfect, but it's what I tend to think of when I'm looking for niche communities.) Contrast that with 10 or 20 years ago when trying to do an internet search for "regrow your foreskin" was likely to send you to at best a handful of rinky-dink sites and produce a whole lot more results that are derisive, fetishistic, or just weird.

My point is that when I started out ~20 years ago, I had almost no idea what I was doing and worked with homemade devices that didn't provide strong or even tension. I don't know anyone who has made an effort to restore at any time who didn't make mistakes. Whereas today there are enough good resources that those mistakes might set you back a week or a month, in the olden days, I think people made bigger mistakes more frequently, plus they were using methods that were less than ideal. And who are the users who have been at this long enough to call themselves restored? Those who started their journeys longer ago, working with sparser and less-good resources. Longer-restored users are more likely to tell you it took them 10+ years, but I have confidence that as experimentation and documentation on foreskin restoration grows more sophisticated and aggregated, you'll hear more people declare that they finished in five years or possibly less.

I recently posted about my regimen and you can read about it here.

Comment

Originally posted by foreskin site user View Post
              The key point is that "restored" has no measurable meaning, its definition changes.
              Yeah, kinda like the penis itself. It changes size, shape and consistency so often, I usually feel like I’m dealing with a freakin’ octopus or somethin’.

Comment

Originally posted by foreskin site user View Post

the best we can come up with is "keep on tugging"
                I guess you’re probably too young to remember the popular slogan from the 70s that advises you to “Keep on Truckin’.” I tried to attach a photo of the cartoon, but I couldn’t get it to work. It shows a guy with big shoes strutting toward you and was meant as encouragement to persevere and keep going.

As an amateur graphic designer, I’m tempted to redesign that for guys like us. But I guess a different part of his anatomy would need to enlarged and emphasized, besides his feet…!

Comment

As an amateur graphic designer, I’m tempted to redesign that for guys like us. But I guess a different part of his anatomy would need to enlarged and emphasized, besides his feet…!
                  Still very much in the spirit of R. Crumb regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by eeeee View Post
                    Yet another thing to keep in mind is how much restoration has changed over the past 20 years or so. The TLC Tugger has been sort of the gold-standard of devices and I know it's undergone at least one major design change. Likewise, this community is one of the central hubs for information but by no means the only one, being flanked by a couple of subreddits for example. (Not to say Reddit is perfect, but it's what I tend to think of when I'm looking for niche communities.) Contrast that with 10 or 20 years ago when trying to do an internet search for "regrow your foreskin" was likely to send you to at best a handful of rinky-dink sites and produce a whole lot more results that are derisive, fetishistic, or just weird.

My point is that when I started out ~20 years ago, I had almost no idea what I was doing and worked with homemade devices that didn't provide strong or even tension. I don't know anyone who has made an effort to restore at any time who didn't make mistakes. Whereas today there are enough good resources that those mistakes might set you back a week or a month, in the olden days, I think people made bigger mistakes more frequently, plus they were using methods that were less than ideal. And who are the users who have been at this long enough to call themselves restored? Those who started their journeys longer ago, working with sparser and less-good resources. Longer-restored users are more likely to tell you it took them 10+ years, but I have confidence that as experimentation and documentation on foreskin restoration grows more sophisticated and aggregated, you'll hear more people declare that they finished in five years or possibly less.

I recently posted about my regimen and you can read about it here.
                    Very good points. I just wish medicine was as advanced now as it is in Star Trek. Just one hypospray to stimulate some dormant genes and it would make your dick grow its foreskin back, like a lizard growing a new tail!

Comment

Well I have taken a fair amount of time off. Over 6 months at times. During those times off, I see some loss of gains, but not a lot. 10% seems a reasonable, back of the envelope estimate to me. And, after that initial loss, it seems stable. So my guess, based on this experience, and that of reading reports from restoring me, as well as literature on skin expansion, is that after we grow skin, and wait a year or so, what we will have left will be permanent.

As far as how long, well, all we can do is work with what we have left, and grow what we can. If that takes me the rest of my life, or if I have to tug for the rest of my life to maintain what I have, that is not much of a burden, considering the major improvements I have gotten. That simply amounts to a half hour or so a few times a week, for maintenance, as far as I can see and predict based on my experience.

Yes, that is still a burden we should not have to deal with. But, unfortunately, we do thanks to fear mongering, poor science, and biased thinking driving cultural norms. But at least I can do something to make things better, and I can do what I can to try and reduce the number of men who have to do this.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by greg_b View Post
                        Well I have taken a fair amount of time off. Over 6 months at times. During those times off, I see some loss of gains, but not a lot. 10% seems a reasonable, back of the envelope estimate to me. And, after that initial loss, it seems stable. So my guess, based on this experience, and that of reading reports from restoring me, as well as literature on skin expansion, is that after we grow skin, and wait a year or so, what we will have left will be permanent.

As far as how long, well, all we can do is work with what we have left, and grow what we can. If that takes me the rest of my life, or if I have to tug for the rest of my life to maintain what I have, that is not much of a burden, considering the major improvements I have gotten. That simply amounts to a half hour or so a few times a week, for maintenance, as far as I can see and predict based on my experience.

Regards
                        Thanks, that was pretty encouraging. I guess I just haven’t been at it long enough for it to become a normal habit or daily routine yet. I also have some unique health problems that probably make tugging more uncomfortable and painful for me than what most guys experience, so I’ve already quit a few times. But I’m hoping I’ve figured out how I need to go about it this time.

Comment

Thanks, that was pretty encouraging. I guess I just haven’t been at it long enough for it to become a normal habit or daily routine yet. I also have some unique health problems that probably make tugging more uncomfortable and painful for me than what most guys experience, so I’ve already quit a few times. But I’m hoping I’ve figured out how I need to go about it this time.
                          Glad it was encouraging! This stuff takes so long, and is so uncertain, it is easy to get discouraged, I know from my own experience.

And, it is a long road, even if you reach your goals in a year. That is why I often suggest starting out using a regimen you can easily do daily for a long, long time. Say 30 minutes, twice a day, during weekdays. Or 20 minutes every other day. Or whatever will work for a given person and their life. Once you have that sorted, then see whether you are making progress or not. With a bit of luck, you will be, and you just need to keep on tugging that way. But, if not, then experiment with the amount of tension only. Just see if you can find the amount of tension that will give you progress, under that regimen. That way, you know that you can make progress, and you will have confidence you can do this for the long term. I suggest this, because my experience has been that the amount of tension is the most critical factor for growing skin. Everything else seems to be secondary, at least for me.

After you have confidence that you can make progress and keep doing this for the long term, then go ahead and play around with other factors, if you want. Try and increase your progress by adding more time, further play with the amount of tension, add ointments, whatever you want to try and get to your goal faster. You can always fall back to the tried and true. And, you will have something to compare to.

But the reality is that this is a marathon, not sprint, and you need to settle in, however you can, to the long haul. But reports from other men suggest that you can do this, you just have to keep on tugging.

That is also why I do not shy away from breaks. A break now and then helps me keep going for the long haul.

Regards

Comment

When I first started reading about restoration, most articles said it would take about six months to a year to accomplish. Now I’m hearing testimonials from guys who are saying they’ve been at it for *decades* and they still haven’t reached their ultimate goal. That’s pretty discouraging.

So does that mean this is something you have to keep at constantly for the rest of your life, just to maintain it? If you stop, does the skin just shrink back up and you’ll lose all the gains you’ve managed to make? I know people say holes for piercings always grow shut if you don’t keep something in them all the time. So is foreskin restoration just another case of “use it or lose it”? That’s pretty discouraging too.
                            I have been restoring for just about 48 month consistently with a day or two break in there once in awhile. I started with enough skin to be fortunate to be able to use a tugging device such as the TLC tugger from the start. The first 3 months consisted of stretching the existing skin tube and gaining some growth. I logged my growth every month thru FEC until I hit about the 36th month which I average about 2-3 MM of growth a month, I than found that this way of measuring my progress was not working for me anymore, to keep track of the amount of skin I had grown. I now go by other way to see the growth.
                            If someone said that it would take 6 month to a year to complete their foreskin restoration than only two things can make that happen. (1) The person had a whole lot of slack skin to start with or they are just plain not telling the real truth. I have consistent coverage with some overhang after almost 4 year except when I get excited, at the rate of growth I average I figure I still have at least 4 year of tugging left.
                            Restoring is not a race by a marathon, tug and the skin does what it suppose to do, GROW!
                            Just tug away the time spent is well worth the results that are put into it. If manual is to much work, get a device strap it on in the morning and go about your day, months, years down the road you will have a restored foreskin to be proud of and sensation will be like something you never felt before.

Comment

Originally posted by Gundog View Post

If someone said that it would take 6 month to a year to complete their foreskin restoration than only two things can make that happen. (1) The person had a whole lot of slack skin to start with or they are just plain not telling the real truth.
                              I guess they figured if they revealed it would actually take years or even decades to complete, no one would ever bother even trying to get started. I know I get really discouraged and feel like giving up whenever I hear numbers like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X