Psychoanalysis and Circumcision

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychoanalysis and Circumcision

Even though the following text is not something scientific it is in fact my interpretation of my University studies on it together with my experience as a victim of male genital mutilation (aka "circumsion") plus the things I've read in many different places.
    ​​
    Here we go:

So in the middle of psychology class in college, I got an insight while listening to the teacher talking about the psychosexual development and apparently those who don't pass through the third phase in a healthy manner will present low self-esteem and other problems relating to self image.

So since the third phase is basically about penises, I think circumsion many times makes boys pass through this phase in an horrifying manner. That's why many of us, including myself, have so many self-esteem and self image issues.

Therefore I believe Freud might explain it well.

I believe that on our forum there must someone with more knowledge about it so feel free to share.

Perhaps, but how many people these days do you see smoking cigars?

But seriously, be careful not to assume correlation might equal causation here. Not all self-image or esteem problems result from sexual issues. There are many other causes, some of which start early in adolescence, or even before, when sexuality might not yet even be a factor.

Comment

The real horror is manifested when someone learns the truth about what was taken from him without his consent for no reason. It's bad enough to do this to a n infant or minor child without his consent, but the truth triggers such issues once it is realized.

Comment

Originally posted by parsecskin View Post
        The real horror is manifested when someone learns the truth about what was taken from him without his consent for no reason. It's bad enough to do this to a n infant or minor child without his consent, but the truth triggers such issues once it is realized.
        YES. I have nearly destroyed myself repeatedly over the anguish this revelation has caused me.

Comment

Instead of getting down on yourself and what was done to you, turn that anger and anguish into something positive. Get involved with intactivism. Spread the word as many ways as you possibly can. One of the most rewarding things is educating soon to be parents and SAVING that boy from this horrendous practice. I have saved many from this and every time I do I cry tears of happiness and joy and give the big middle finger to the circumcision industry. Try it, you'll be amazed at what a boost it gives you.

Comment

I totally agree, parsecskin. That's wonderful that you've saved so many! I have saved a few too, and it does feel wonderful. I plan to further channel my rage and anguish into activism. I want to get involved in activism in NYC, next door to where I live in Northern NJ in the NYC Metro, but I don't know where to start.

Just sharing information with folks as often as possible is immensely valuable, of course.

Comment

Working...
            X