Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you discussed circumcision related distress with a therapist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarClarkson
    replied
    I have. The first time I ever brought it up, it took immense emotional effort. I actually had to let them read an emotional conversation that I had with one of my friends about it because I couldn't stand to say the word. As they read the texts, I looked at them hopefully, that I might be able to now begin working through this pain that had plagued me for my entire life. That maybe I could start working through this depressive fog that I had been struggling with, this anger, resentment, and frustration. I looked at them as they read through everything, hopeful.

"You need to accept it."

Shattered were my hopes that they could say something so callous after I had finally opened up about such an intimate source of my depression. They refused to let me speak about how I felt without shooting me down. I went to one more session with them, where they did the same thing. The last thing they said was "I think we made a lot of headway today".

"Yup."

I said with my eyes glazed over and staring into nothingness. I went down to my car, said "**** you." and drove home in silence.

Leave a comment:

• Reality
    replied
    This might be a positive step for some individual cases. But my take is: it isn't therapists who do circumcision. The professionals, and industry, we do need to influence are the guys who do the procedure and the industry who pays for it, both according to an algorithm of steps. The problem I've seen is that any mention of "emotion" turns them off because that isn't where they live. In other words, they don't care; foreskins are not "emotional", they are functional, but not seen that way by professionals They live in the worlds of anatomy and physiology, and follow a rationale for treating the perceived potential dysfunction in neonates, under a banner which is NOT STANDARDIZED! There is no good and safe (safe from physiological damage)reason to do that, and no reason to pay for it (if your are in it for a profit, as the payers are).

Change the standards, not the provider. Therapy is after the act and has no clinical link to the actors

Leave a comment:

• Have you discussed circumcision related distress with a therapist?

Intaction is assisting two practicing psychologists that seek to interview men who have discussed circumcision related distress with their therapist.

They hope to better understand what was helpful and not helpful about your therapeutic experiences so that we can offer guidance to our professional community. Presently, no guidance is available and we anticipate more men will be presenting with this concern in the years ahead.

Please reach out to directly to Dr. O’Connor at [email protected] if you are interested in participating in this project. All communication during these interviews is confidential. Let them know you heard of the project through Intaction.

Please note that Dr. O'Connor is not able to offer therapeutic support as laws forbid the practice of psychotherapy outside of the jurisdiction in which he is licensed.
Working...
X