I want to help a friend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to help a friend!

It's just as it reads in the title. A friend of mine is getting suicidal over his depression. I made a critical mistake telling him my opinion on how Foregen sucks in my opinion. And things got worse after I've told him this. Though, I put it in a slightly different way. I told him that I don't believe Foregen is going to make it anytime soon. Just this morning, he tried to cut his wrists. Even though I've known him for the past 2 days only, I care for him. I think I shouldn't have said my opinion on Foregen, which turns out to be really destructive for him. No matter what I say, I can't pull him towards the safe zone. He's 18. I'm sorry for him and all the teenagers who are suffering.

we need to keep hope put into reasonable causes if you ask me. Foregen is shooting for the moon, expensive and far off, I don't think encouraging someone to hope for such things is wise. that being said you have to be careful around emotions. perhaps don't mention it but instead focus on what he can do instead when talking. give him hope for the other ways of restoring like the ones we practice here.

Comment

Now that I realise I should have done it your way. I mean, it was really hard for him to think and digest the possibility of my opinion. Maybe if I gradually told him my opinion, it'd be much better. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Comment

Well, I wish I knew what to tell you to say to your friend, but even though I don’t I think you will figure it out. I imagine the best you can do is just be there with him. And it sounds like you are doing that. What you are doing for him is important and commendable. I’m proud of you for it.
        Dancing Man

Comment

If I was close to someone who was demonstrably suicidal I would be looking for competent help. There must be crisis lines for those suffering, but I don't know what sort of resources exist for companions. Seek those.

Originally posted by dumanadam123 View Post
          Maybe if I gradually told him my opinion, it'd be much better.
          I would instead focus on the things that give hope:
          - Cut men can undo some of the damage by tensioning the skin tube to lengthen it. http://TLCTugger.com/benefits-of-foreskin-restoration/
          - If he's in a cutting culture at least there is no scarcity of potential partners looking for just what he's got.
          - The rate of cutting infants keeps dropping, so the indignity of knowing that what happened continues to happen doesn't have to sting so badly.
          - We have the power to reach out to potential parents and potential voters and government folks to educate them about why children must be protected from forced genital cutting. We can bring about real positive change if we are clever and industrious. It's going to take some serious ingenuity to re-invent ourselves now that there's a viral pandemic and nobody's likely to accept an informative leaflet from our hands anytime soon. It's a puzzle to be solved.

I don't know what keeps me from ending it all. I rationally know there are too many humans to live sustainably on earth. But I feel I have an evolved-in urge to leave the world more habitable for future generations and I scratch that itch by working to reduce suffering and to secure peace. I feel I have a lot more to do and I'm curious to see what happens next. I wish I knew what to say to people who don't feel that way.
          -Ron Low
          [email protected]
          847 414-1692 Chicago

Comment

Great thoughts Ron.

I’d like you to know, I think your efforts great. I really appreciate all you are doing for the cause.

Dancing Man

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
              I wish I knew what to say to people who don't feel that way.
              Thanks everyone for helping out my friend. I think we can delete this topic as it is not about restoration. I've saved the information down on my computer so that I can consult to Ron's points if needed in the future.

{admin: We moved this topic to the Grief section, where we can discuss any topic.}

Comment

It may be beneficial for your friend to see a psychiatrist, just in case this breakdown might indicate a more serious issue like chronic depression or bipolar disorder. Then again, it might just be a one-time nervous breakdown. Talk to him about it. Whatever the case, there is help - whether it involves counseling, anti-depressants, or simple peer support (like this website provides).

Comment

Originally posted by dumanadam123 View Post

Thanks everyone for helping out my friend. I think we can delete this topic as it is not about restoration. I've saved the information down on my computer so that I can consult to Ron's points if needed in the future.
                  this forum focuses on restoration, but it is for more than just that. It is every part of your life with circumsicion, be it helping others, dealing with emotions, your relationships, and of course learning to get back what we can, both emotionally and physically.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                    If I was close to someone who was demonstrably suicidal I would be looking for competent help. There must be crisis lines for those suffering, but I don't know what sort of resources exist for companions. Seek those.

I would instead focus on the things that give hope:
                    - Cut men can undo some of the damage by tensioning the skin tube to lengthen it. http://TLCTugger.com/benefits-of-foreskin-restoration/
                    - If he's in a cutting culture at least there is no scarcity of potential partners looking for just what he's got.
                    - The rate of cutting infants keeps dropping, so the indignity of knowing that what happened continues to happen doesn't have to sting so badly.
                    - We have the power to reach out to potential parents and potential voters and government folks to educate them about why children must be protected from forced genital cutting. We can bring about real positive change if we are clever and industrious. It's going to take some serious ingenuity to re-invent ourselves now that there's a viral pandemic and nobody's likely to accept an informative leaflet from our hands anytime soon. It's a puzzle to be solved.

I don't know what keeps me from ending it all. I rationally know there are too many humans to live sustainably on earth. But I feel I have an evolved-in urge to leave the world more habitable for future generations and I scratch that itch by working to reduce suffering and to secure peace. I feel I have a lot more to do and I'm curious to see what happens next. I wish I knew what to say to people who don't feel that way.
                    I think seeks for others' help, the one professional is better than trying yourself if you're not confident with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X