Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does circumcision prevent premature ejaculation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does circumcision prevent premature ejaculation?

Article on circumcision, premature ejaculation, and sexual performance.

http://intaction.org/does-circumcisi...e-ejaculation/
    Can circumcision prevent premature ejaculation? Circumcision reduces sensitivity, but foreskin is important too. What should a guy do? The experts weigh in.
    Advanced Devices Inc.
    http://foreskin-restoration.info/
    Adhesi-Med Skin Safe Medical Adhesive
    Supercanister Tuggers
    Torpedo Tugging Weights

Intaction - Understand the Harm, Change the World, Are You Ready?
    Join the I DID NOT CONSENT Army
    http://intaction.org/

For anyone wondering: this is a popular press article (this may not be obvious to some folks), with a cursory reference to science here and there, but it certainly is not a scientific article, or even a simplified scientific article, because it makes unsubstantiated claims and has an underlying slant, ie intactivism. I would imagine this flies here on the forum, though.

I mention this because if you have a taste for actual science like I do (for all the reasons that one would, with demonstrated fact vs assumption, as an example) , then it's ....well, kinda unsatifying, let's say. It doesn't present the titular issue clearly, let alone answer it clearly with any sort of proof. From the professional view it's what's called a puff piece.
    Last edited by Reality; 06-03-2017, 12:20 AM.

Comment

I don’t just have a taste for science, I am a scientist and I can see through pseudo-science bullshit quite quickly and I agree that the article is a “puff piece”

The two papers quoted in the article both come from established peer reviewed journals (British Journal of Urology and International Journal of Epidemiology) but while both indicate that there are deleterious consequences from circumcision, neither are able to reach the conclusion that circumcision improves premature ejaculation. It wasn’t a valid research question in either study and quoting these to substantiate the article claim is wrong.

There is another paper however published in the International Journal of Impotence Research, Somatosensory evoked potentials assess the efficacy of circumcision for premature ejaculation, which concluded, "The ejaculation time improvement after circumcision is so small, and equal to placebo response, therefore it could not be interpreted as a therapeutic method in men with PE" https://www.nature.com/ijir/journal/...ir201621a.html

My gut feeling is that it is impossible to prove either way because we cannot conduct a controlled experiment to determine the effects with or without a foreskin; however the last paper is about as near as you can get to proper science in understanding this.

Also there are a multitude of root causes which cause and contribute to PE and there are a first line treatments to try before resorting to hacking off 70% of the penile erogenous tissue. SSRIs are known to delay ejaculation, so are condoms and I’d be inclined to exhaust every other option before subjecting myself to damaging unwarranted irreversible surgery.

Comment

Well said, and thanks for the link. I work in a science-based discipline, and over the years (because I have to comply with continuing education requirements, and because of that taste of mine ) I've developed a healthy sense for BS as well, primarily because I've seen so much of the sad results (from BS) in the clinical arena. To give it its due, I see the OP's link as more the usual superficial stuff you'd expect, rather than truly outright, malice aforethought BS. In a word, it tries, but it fails. To see that, all it really takes is a bit of critical thinking to start stripping the window dressing away from the lack of real focus (not to mention the lack of methodology).

On a glass-half-full note, though, at least this is in the Health section where it doesn't do any real harm to readers. Harms the intactivist message a bit, but lay intactivism has yet to understand that the substandard, preaching-to-the-choir approach is a waste of time (unless you like puffing up), and reveals more of what they don't know, rather than what they do know. It simply isn't the choir (AKA each other) they need to influence.
        Last edited by Reality; 06-03-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

In my experience circumcision tends to prevent ejaculation altogether.

Comment

Well, that's the problem. There isn't any reason to not believe you on an anecdotal level (and condolences), but when some appearance of "science" is appealed to, as in the OP's article, then it all falls apart. Trying to prove causation requires a whole series of meticulous steps to confirm a correlation, let alone a direct influence between the two.

Comment

Hmm, maybe you should conduct a survey which one last longer because everyone has a different type of mental ability because I believe that ejaculation is in control of your mind and experience.

Comment

I may be able to shed some light on this from my experience. When I was intact, although I definitely had more sensitivity, I found I could bring myself right to the edge and hold it there seemingly forever by going real slow. The nerves contained in the part of your foreskin that's removed must account for this as I can no longer do that.

Comment

Working...
                X