How to get rid of negative thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get rid of negative thoughts?

I have suffered from anxiety & depression for a while and I have been on meds which really doesn't work for me. I have done research on internet , how to get rid of negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones. But it doesn't quite seem to work for me though. The bad thoughts always come back while sleeping. In fact, they are always there. I have positive thoughts here and there popping up but the negative thoughts and are pretty much the main setting in my head. How can I change that? Is there a trick or technique I can use to have positive thoughts as a main thing in my head? I want to wake up happy and thinking positive and go to sleep happy and positive instead of gloomy and depressed.

Ditch the meds. They are bad for you. Most people suffering from depression are magnesium deficient (as are about 60% of the population due to depleted soils on farms). Get a good quality magnesium supplement, some St. John's Wort, and some fish oil capsules. All of which will help. St.John's Wort has been used for centuries as a natural treatment for depression. The other 2 are good for you anyway.

Comment

I have never been diagnosed with anxiety or depression but I am pretty sure I would qualify for both. I don't really have any tips for general anxiety, but what has helped me feel better in general was finding something that seemed worth living for. In my case, I have picked up a few instruments and dedicate most of my time outside of work to learning about and practicing music related activities. Guitar, piano, violin, singing, learning theory, writing music, listening to music, etc. I basically have too many things to do and I don't have time to be bored and let my mind wander too much. And it's not like I'm always excited to do these things, sometimes I just want to do nothing and waste my life away (and sometimes that though prevails,) but I've found that if I can just muster up the will to start it's not too hard to keep going and things will be better in the long run.

As far as sleeping and waking up goes, I don't go to sleep without having something to listen to. I just find a somewhat long youtube video that is only mildly interesting, and I fall asleep listening to it. That helps to keep my thoughts at bay. I've also started adhering to a fairly strict sleep schedule so I have less trouble falling asleep than I used to. I still wake up many times during the night, but what can ya do. I also wake up way earlier than I "need" to. I wake up in the morning and the first thing I do is whatever I want to do. I have a few hours in the morning to practice guitar and read books and whatever, so I don't dread waking up with the idea that I have to immediately go back to being a slave to the grind.

A lot of people say that you can just change your mindset and things will get better. I feel like those people just don't understand the problems enough to give real advice, they think they know how you're feeling but they really don't. Or maybe I'm just too stubborn to let it work for me. But that in itself is a problem they can't solve.

I don't think my advice will work for everyone, I am reluctant to actually call it "advice," it's just something to try or to think about. It's not like I have solved all of my problems, I've just found a way to get by that works for me. There are ups and there are downs, try to enjoy the ups and try to find ways to improve from the downs. Know that all of this is a part of life. Know that everybody has dealt with the existential dread, the uncertainty of everything, doubt, fear, and other feelings you have, albeit not in the same way you have. There is a reason that Emily Dickinson, Ernest Hemingway, David Foster Wallace, many authors, musicians, and artists of all sorts have been critically acclaimed and beloved by so many people all over the world and for generations, everybody can relate to their messages. Accept that negative thoughts are part of being human, try to find beauty in that and in all of the other things in life.

Do continue to seek help, the fact that you are on meds in the first place is great because that shows you are really trying. I have never gotten the courage to seek professional help. Maybe those pills don't work, but keep looking for things that will help. I'm not a believer in supplementation and alternative medicine, but you can try that if you want. Try new things, flip your world upside down, pull it inside out, stir it up, spice it up. Good luck.

Comment

Matt, youbshould be a believer in nutritional supplements and alternative medicine. THEY ACTUALLY WORK! So many people are deficient in many nutrients partly because of all the processed shit food shoved down our throats these days and partly because of soil depletion. They re plant crops immediately and just put chemicals to them instead of rotating fields and letting the matrix replentish. All in the name of MONEY. So many conditions and ailments are the direct result of nutritional imbalance. Including cancer. There is also a whole myriad of alternative and natural cures out there for just about everything that have absolutely NO negative side effects. Here's one to try: COLLOIDAL SILVER. Next time you feel a cold or flu coming on use some. This stuff will kill it overnight. Bam. Done. Guaranteed. Has NEVER failed me yet.
        Most modern medicine is designed to treat symptoms, not cure you. Money AGAIN.
        Just look at the "medecine" that brought most of us HERE to this forum.

Comment

Step #1, be very cautious of those who suggest alternative medicine. There's a reason that stuff is kind of a joke to modern medicine...there's little to no evidence (outside of the anecdotal) to validate such things as a viable solution to your problem. Do not ever stop taking prescribed medication without running it by your doctor.

I've been struggling with the same stuff, for about 4 years now. Anxiety and severe depression. My best advice is to inform your doctor that your medication is not sufficiently addressing the problem, so they can increase doses, or swap you to something different altogether. Just because one set of meds don't help, doesn't mean medication isn't the best path to take. If medication just ends up not working at all, TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation), and ECT (electro-convulsive therapy) are possible options to pursue. TMS has a success rate equal to that of depression medication.

But, no. There is no trick that can just fix these problems for you. It's going to require legwork, on your part, to find a good therapist, and to find a combination of meds that work for you.

Comment

All very good advice Metal One.

Sometimes with meds, you can't just quit them, you have to taper off to do it right. The Dr. will hopefully be aware of this. It is hard work and difficult work to find a therapist that works for you effectively.

Basically, you have to be more stubborn than your depression to find a path that works for you.

That is what I have found to be true.

Hang in there!

Comment

Thank you Everyone for your advice.

Comment

Distract yourself when your mind starts wandering down that road. Listen to music, watch TV, play video games, or whatever. You could also talk with people about it… or maybe about something else entirely - just keep yourself occupied. Discuss your meds with your doctor, though.

Comment

Those who bandy back and forth between anxiety and depression usually have one thing missing in their lives — and that is exercise. Strenuous physical exercise helps keep one mentally on a even keel. Being a couch potato, a slothful slug, is a prescription for anxiety <—> depression.

My favorite philosopher, Alan Watts (1915 -1973) once said:
                  “A person who thinks all the time has nothing to think about except thoughts.”

It only takes a moment’s reflection to realize what thinking only about thoughts will eventually lead to. Engagement with the physical world is necessary to remain grounded.

MY MINIMAL EXERCISE SYSTEM
                  I have striven over the decades, to come up with with a minimal time-and-effort exercise regimen that will keep me at a minimally acceptable level of physical and mental fitness.
                  In its present form, I do the following on alternate days:
                  (1) I do 6 minutes of vigorous blood-pumping aerobics (a.k.a. cardio) on one day,
                  and on the next day,
                  (2) I do some body weight exercises.
                  Sometimes, I also do some yoga. I benefit most from forward bends that stretch my tightened-up back and hamstrings.
                  My exercise system is described more fully in my previous post here:
                  https://foreskinrestoration.vbulleti...3653#post13653

HAPPINESS
                  I don’t think that just trying to replace negative thoughts with positive ones is going to work. Such a strategy might only serve to increase the internal mental chatter.

Hard-nosed scientific research on happiness has concluded that our outlook on life - our individual general mood - is determined in large part by genetics. Our individual inner state is as individual as our personalities, and our individual personalities may very well be an outward projection of that highly individual inner state.

However, that does not mean we cannot do something to become a bit more happy within the parameters of one’s general mood set by genetics. When I was in high school, we had as classmates, a pair of identical twin girls, both blonde and short. We affectionately called them “The Munchkins,” (but only behind their backs). This pair of identical twin girls were easy to tell apart - not by their looks, but by their dispositions. One was happier and more carefree; the other was more serious-minded and more often sullen. Interestingly, it was the the happier and more carefree one that was elected a Senior Class Officer (either Secretary or Treasurer, I can’t remember which). It was also the happier of the two that went on to have the more successful career - as a nurse practitioner.

Former late-night TV talk show host, Dennis Wholly, taught me how to become a bit happier in my daily activities. Dennis Wholly said that he often caught himself tense, with pain and strain on his face for absolutely no reason during routine daily activities like driving a car. One way to lighten up in such a situation is to just relax. If you and yourself stuck in a traffic jam, it does no good to tense up and cuss it. Just switch on some good music, and take a little mental vacation.

Scientific research has also shown that if you just smile, the muscles in your face send a message to your brain to excrete endogenous endorphins. It doesn't matter if it's a forced smile. It still works.

MEDITATION
                  There is good news for those who cannot possibly maintain even a minimal exercise schedule — either due to habit, or medical or physical condition. Meditation can also be used to still the mind and to re-center yourself, thus reducing the back-and-forth bandying between anxiety and depression.

Way back in the 1970’s (when I was age 17), the Beatles took the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi’s course in Transcendental Meditation….and so did I. That’s how I first learned to meditate.

In a TV interview years later, Paul McCartney said he doesn’t practice Transcendental Meditation anymore, but he said he’s glad he learned it nevertheless. Just remembering what it felt like to be in a meditative state takes you back there to a certain extent. I fully concur with Sir Paul. I’ve found that remembering the meditative state is a good way to take a 10 second vacation whenever the going gets rough. In the intervening years, many scientific papers have been published showing the mental and physiological benefits of TM.

Years after learning Transcendental Meditation, I learned haw to do Japanese zazen. I found the benefits of in achieving the zen “no-mind state” to be even deeper. I can recommend the book “Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind” by Shunryu Suzuki as the very best introduction to the zazen meditation method in a book form. This book is such a mainstay, some local libraries near me still carry it.
                  https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Mind-Begi...gateway&sr=8-1

My family did not belong to a church or religious denomination. I’m fond of jokingly telling people I get my spirituality from the free magazines they have at the health food store. There is truth in joke. I got this gem of a saying from one of those free magazines:
                  Do not think of the past. It brings tears.
                  Do not think of the future. It brings fears.
                  Live in the moment with a smile and good cheer!

…..and remember, my Good Gents, to KOT.
                  Tugging is an exercise of sorts. It is engagement in the physical world.
                  It puts you in the driver’s seat….and that helps combat anxiety and depression.
                  …..and achieving a full foreskin puts you in the cockpit, where you can soar.
                  Meet me in heavenly ecstasy.....(and NOT in anxiety and depression).

David
                  World As Monkey Island
                  Last edited by Science Monk; 03-16-2019, 01:30 PM. Reason: Added paragraphs on Dennis Wholly's advice,
                  I declared myself finished restoring with 3/4 erect coverage (CI-8.5) in 2005. I primarily used T-tape, strapping up and around my waist.
                  I've participated in NORM meetings in San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle (RECAP), and Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Every doubt, reservation, or concern I had about my restoration was resolved by achieving additional foreskin LENGTH.....So just KOT !

Comment

Originally posted by Science Monk View Post
                    Those who bandy back and forth between anxiety and depression usually have one thing missing in their lives — and that is exercise. Strenuous physical exercise helps keep one mentally on a even keel. Being a couch potato, a slothful slug, is a prescription for anxiety <—> depression.
                    I'm only replying to this because I though about mentioning it in my earlier reply. It's important to note that exercise (and diet) isn't the problem for a lot of people. I mean, if you are the type who has never exercised a day in your life and never eaten a vegetable, then improving your diet and exercising will certainly improve your health and surely will improve your mental health as well.

But that's not the root cause of it all for some people.

Comment

Working...
                    X