Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old were you when you learned you were circumcised?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old were you when you learned you were circumcised?

When I was talking to my sister about circumcision, one thing that came up was that I learned at a relatively late age (14) that I had been circumcised. She seemed fixated on that, as if it were the sole reason that I resented what was done to me. I'd like to see if either she's incorrect and men can resent their circumcisions having learned about their own status at any age, or if perhaps she's right and there's a pattern here (not that it makes it right, of course).

Anecdotally, I've heard of lots of men who came to learn their status-- circumcised or not-- at a relatively late age.
    5 or younger
    13.33%
    10.00%
    6.67%
    0%
    10.00%
    13.33%
    6.67%
    10.00%
    10.00%
    10.00%
    0%
    3.33%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    20 or older
    6.67%

As an add on, how did people learn? Were they told or did they notice that they had a different appearance from others and then ask about why?

Comment

Originally posted by scotsman85 View Post
      As an add on, how did people learn? Were they told or did they notice that they had a different appearance from others and then ask about why?
      Anatomy book that showed intact penises, I noticed mine didn't have a foreskin.

Comment

Same sort of thing here, I learnt in a sex ed class at school

Comment

I believe I asked my mom when I was younger what it meant.

Comment

I put seven, but it could have been younger. It came up somehow, probably something to do with it being in the bible, and my dad sorta explained it to me and said it was cleaner. I just excepted that answer, because my dad told me and I had no reason to think my parents would let a doctor strap me down and mutilate me as a newborn. My age at the time has little to do with my opinion of circumcision, research and fact do. I was probably 14 when I realized I'd been mutilated.

Comment

I honestly can not even make a remote guess as to what age I learned that I was circumcised. I can only say I learned about it long before I started resenting it.

Comment

16 years old - I was searching online trying to find a way to make my penis look better. on the right side of the top of my glans looks shorter than the other side and my glans is kind of "clocked" a few degrees to the left. I was searching online for "twisted penis head" or something like that when I found out about circumcision and the damages it causes, it immediately made me cry when I realized what was done to me (I don't know if circumcision made my penis "twisted" but I was still devestated about the other damages it causes). My penis isn't messed up too bad but it always bothered me how it looked but I just stuffed all those feelings down for almost 5 years until they came back up and I said to myself I have to restore and so I ordered a tugger and started my journey.

Comment

Great answers, everyone! Since people are sharing their stories, I'll share my own (or the short version, at least). I played "truth or dare" with some friends of mine and we'd been ramping up the game whenever we played it over the past several weeks, so I dared a friend of mine to stand naked. I noticed he looked different from me and what I "knew" about circumcision was that it involves cutting off the end of the penis (the glans, I thought) and that it was something only devoutly religious Jews did. I suggested he was circumcised and he seemed to take an "oh well" attitude toward it, but I now wonder if he was feeling devastated in the moment. A few months later, I became curious about what I had seen and so I looked up "uncircumcised" online (this was around the early 2000s). An image came up with two penises clearly labeled "circumcised" and "uncircumcised" and when I saw that mine matched "circumcised", my heart sank and I thought there was some mistake in the labels. When I opened a second image, it began to dawn on me that there was no mistake. I remained somewhat in denial for years afterwards before truly coming to terms with what was done to me. In my case, I didn't need to be told that it was mutilation or read about foreskin or anything-- I just instantly felt horribly violated.

Anyway, I'm really happy to see that there's little to no correlation between the age you learn about your status and how you feel. To tell the truth, it's always scared me just a little that if I had been told what was done to me at an early age, maybe that would normalize it somehow and I'd grow up to think that it would be okay to do this to my own son.

Comment

I don't remember being told about circumcision - I think I knew about it at an early age, but didn't know how exactly my penis was different until after puberty, (when I began seeking racy pictures on the internet.)

My resentment for circumcision has been very gradual. I used to not think about it because nerves can't be regrown anyway, but nowadays I can't really look at my penis without seeing a wound.

Comment

The first time I knew that there was circumcision for males when I was 10 years old I went to attend with my parents the circumcision ceremony of my cousin in the synagogue according to the Jewish tradition .... The crying of the child was terrible and I will not forget it all my life ..
                      When I moved from Israel to live in Europe and started relationship with uncircumcised guys I realized that I had been deceived when I was child by illogical reasons invented by my parents to cover that everyday crime for the happiness of their God !

Comment

I was age about 6. Learned that I was different by comparing with friends. I'm in Ireland/UK and the vast majority here were, and are, intact. I asked my mother who then used the "C" word. She followed on many occasions by saying that I should be happy to look like prince Charles.
                        Tormod

Some of you may have had occasion to run into mathematicians and to wonder therefore how they got that way - Tom Lehrer

Comment

Originally posted by Tormod View Post
                          I was age about 6. Learned that I was different by comparing with friends. I'm in Ireland/UK and the vast majority here were, and are, intact. I asked my mother who then used the "C" word. She followed on many occasions by saying that I should be happy to look like prince Charles.
                          What a load of rubbish! Your mother is crazy.

Comment

To answer scotsman's add-on question: I didn't learn about it until I was 10, when we went over puberty in my school's health class. Had never even heard of a foreskin before that.

Comment

I learned in sex ed too, and have been hugely body/self conscious ever since, it was always in the back of my mind that I'd had an operation on my penis when I was 4 (It is one of 2 candidates for my earliest memory) but it had never bothered me before then.

I wasn't aware of what a foreskin was!

Comment

Working...
                              X