Is anyone here a Mormon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone here a Mormon?

I am a Mormon and I just wanted to know if I am alone on this one.

Note: I am not here to fight or for anyone to tear down my beliefs. I just want to know if I am alone or not.

Originally posted by Bblliinnddzz View Post
    not here to fight or for anyone to tear down my beliefs
    Welcome to the forum. Just so you know, we have set aside a section of the forum where the religious views of the one starting a thread are respected under penalty of . . . well they're respected or I'll have to figure out what the penalty is. That section is called Safe Haven: https://foreskinrestoration.vbulleti...her/safe-haven

Elsewhere on the forum we expect people to interact with respect, but assertions without evidence are more likely to be questioned.

I wonder if there is more to the LDS story on circumcision than just Moroni 8:8.
    -Ron Low
    [email protected]
    847 414-1692 Chicago

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't LDS also follow the bible? If that includes Paul's teachings, then you have Galatians 5:2 as well - "Take notice: I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all." Nonetheless, Moroni 8:8 seems to indicate that Mormons don't have to be circumcised, although it doesn't prohibit it.

Anyway - religious circumcision is definitely an area where I disagree with many people. E.g. Judaism requires circumcision on the 8th day, and Islam on the 1st birthday - which many people justify as grounds for religious circumcision to be legal. I am of the opinion that, in light of there being religions that prohibit circumcision (most notably Christianity, if you interpret Galatians 5 the way I do), to circumcise a child is a violation of the child's freedom of religion. One could argue intent - i.e. the child didn't consent to be circumcised, therefore Galatians 5 doesn't apply, but I'm sure there are other religions that prohibit circumcision. But conversely, someone can convert to Islam or Judaism later in life, therefore these religions have to allow for circumcision later in life, so it's not like that person's ability to convert is gone forever. It is easier to cut than it is to uncut someone - and even if you completely restore, you are still circumcised.

Comment

During the 40 years that Moses lead the Israelites in the desert, no one was circumcised (Joshua 5:4-7) - which I found interesting. So under Moses, circumcision wasn't practiced, but it was brought back under Joshua. Yet most Jews cite Moses as the founder of the faith.

I saw a brilliant answer to a question online: someone pointed out that Jesus was circumcised, so surely we should do the same. The answer they got was "by that logic, you should also put your baby in an animal feed trough when it is born". Ok - that answer is logically flawed, but I still found it funny.

The more I research the biblical backing for practices, the more I realise how people just push their own agendas and use the part of the arguement that suits them. E.g. I am anti-circumcision, so I will quote Joshua 5 and Galatians 5, while someone else will raise the arguement that God's covenant with Abraham was to him and all his descendants, which includes the Levites, and under the new covenant, all Christians are part of a royal priesthood, thus the new Levites (I rate my arguement is stronger than that response, but of course I would think that).

For those of us on this site that follow religion, I rate it is very important to question what we are taught. I was raised to be strongly homophobic - but fortunately in recent years did my research on the little the bible says on the topic, and how the translations are distorted. There are 6 references in the entire book on the topic - two are in the context of gang rape, one is specifically talking to rules for the high priest, one is incredibly vague and can be interpreted to mean basically anything, and the other two are references to the Ancient Greek coming of age tradition where a child was forced to have sex with an adult. Jonathan and David were clearly gay (1 Samual 18:1 is very hard to interpret otherwise), and David was described as a man after God's own heart. And, above all, one of the things Jesus said the most is that we mustn't judge each other, and picking on what you think is someone else's sin is judging others.

Comment

Hello guys !!
          if you like to make conversation about your *****Gods there is a good space for you In this forum called safe Haven ......
          this section called : GENERAL RESTORATION DISCUSSION ... to make discussions about our dicks and foreskins not Gods !!

Comment

Originally posted by Circusclown View Post
            Moroni 8:8 seems to indicate that Mormons don't have to be circumcised, although it doesn't prohibit it.
            One could argue that "Thou shall not steal" - at least hundreds of years newer than Genesis 17 - has definitively abrogated the covenant of blood.
            -Ron Low
            [email protected]
            847 414-1692 Chicago

Comment

Working...
            X