Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-12-30 Support historic legal challenge to routine infant circumcision paid by Medicaid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-12-30 Support historic legal challenge to routine infant circumcision paid by Medicaid

Legendary inactivist Ron Goldman (author of Circumcision the Hidden Trauma and Questioning Circumcision) is compiling information and sources to prove that Medicaid spending for non-therapeutic circumcision is illegal and should stop. He needs funds to carry the case forward. See his GoFundMe project here:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/legal-cha...d-circumcision

I think these fundraisers typically run for a month, but if you're seeing this at a different time and want to help, he can probably use it. Let me know if you have trouble reaching him.

Please share widely.

- Ron Low
    847 414-1692
    -Ron Low
    [email protected]
    847 414-1692 Chicago

Thanks for the heads up, I contributed to this most worthy cause.

Comment

It's important to note that Goldman's petition needs signatures from other Massachusetts residents. If you know of any local intactivists, let them know about it.

Also, there are still 31 other states with Medicaid policies that fund circumcision (on Goldman's website, there are the 18 that don't). Each one would benefit from a similar initiative. If you're in one of them, and or somebody you know might have the means to do this, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by z726 View Post
        Goldman's petition needs signatures from other Massachusetts residents.
        Thanks for pointing that out. I'll send an email to all TLC clients in Massachusetts.
        -Ron Low
        [email protected]
        847 414-1692 Chicago

Comment

As of yesterday, 2020-2-18, Both goals have been reached . Goldman posts that he will now be contacting a few attorneys about the proposal.

Comment

Has Ron Goldman brought this to court yet?

Comment

Originally posted by reenigne95 View Post
              Has Ron Goldman brought this to court yet?
              An update posted on the GoFundMe site, dated April 18th:

We have a Massachusetts attorney preparing to file the case and a second attorney out of state to help us prepare our case for the legal challenge!
              Thanks again for your support!
              Ron

Comment

Hit your medicaid directors up! Now is a great time, it's not that hard to track yours down.

https://medicaiddirectors.org/about/medicaid-directors/
                Find the directors name for your state at bottom, go back up top, and click your state.
                for Indiana it had a 'find a person' thing at the bottom to get an email.

Plus with the Covid virus everybody is trying to cut costs, even if it is only the taxpayers money you're spending. Give them some low hanging fruit to pick!

There's a nice form letter here to modify
                https://circumcision.org/medicaid-fu...r-circumcision

I tagged on and extended it some, just sent this to Allison Taylor, director of Indiana Medicaid
                –------

Dear Allison Taylor,

I’m writing to urge you to discontinue Medicaid funding for child Circumcisions.

As you know, circumcision position statements have been published by the American Medical Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics, as well as medical organizations in other English-speaking countries. No national medical organization in the world recommends circumcision.

In the newborn period, there are virtually no medical indications for circumcision. The foreskin is a natural, healthy, functional body part. Normal conditions in infants and children, like a tight or long foreskin (sometimes mistakenly called phimosis), are not valid medical reasons for circumcision in minors. The foreskin isn't supposed to release from the glans and start retracting until adolecence. Legitimate medical reasons for circumcision (such as frostbite, gangrene, or cancer) are rare, and are not likely to be present in newborns.

Signs of the growing criticism about this cultural practice include the fact that a significant and growing proportion of doctors are refusing to perform non-therapeutic circumcision, some insurance companies do not cover it, and an organization exists called Doctors Opposing Circumcision.

During this Covid-19 crisis, many hospitals have discontinued doing this procedure on newborns as it is NOT medically necessary. Medicaid regulations require that services are medically necessary. Since non-therapeutic circumcision is not medically necessary, funding it is not in conformance with the regulation. We note that the burden of proof for medical necessity is on those who provide the service, not on those who question the policy. Consequently, eighteen states do not pay for elective Medicaid circumcisions.

In addition to the health implications and regulations, there are economic reasons for discontinuing funding for circumcisions. Including additional hospital stay for circumcision and circumcision complications and repairs, the total annual cost of Medicaid circumcisions is a few million dollars per state, and over $11,000,000 per state when additional lifetime costs are included. This money could be used to reduce the deficit or fund other health services that have recognized benefits.

Further i'd like to mention that if anything like circumcision were to be performed on a female, since 1996 would be a felony under 18 US Code 116 Female Genital Mutilation and 35 states have additional laws to charge the practitioner. If a procedure is a felony for "whoever knowingly circumcises, excises, or infibulates the whole or any part of the labia majora or labia minora or clitoris of another person who has not attained the age of 18 years" why on earth are we wasting taxpayer dollars on a procedure to remove the equivilent structures from males?

In view of these concerns, I strongly urge you to reconsider Medicaid funding of non-therapeutic circumcisions. Thank you for your consideration of this matter, and I look forward to your response.

Very truly yours,

*My real name*

Saying someone is "Unmutilated" is like saying "Unsweet Tea". So you mean it's just Tea, in its natural state, that nobody has screwed up? It can't be Un- anything

Comment

Great idea, Frizzen, I just sent an e-mail, using your letter, to California's Medicaid Medical Director (via the Ombudsman, as the MD's e-mail address was not listed, only his snail mail address).

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal husband View Post
                    Great idea, Frizzen, I just sent an e-mail, using your letter, to California's Medicaid Medical Director (via the Ombudsman, as the MD's e-mail address was not listed, only his snail mail address).
                    Actually, California is on Goldman's list of states that don't fund circumcision via Medicaid. It was the first state to de-list the procedure, in 1982.

Comment

UPDATE:

Goldman has posted on his website that, as of July 22, a lawsuit has been filed.

https://circumcision.org/taxpayers-s...circumcisions/

Some of you may recognize the name of attorney Peter Adler, who has also long been involved with intactivism.

https://en.intactiwiki.org/index.php/Peter_W._Adler

Comment

Working...
                      X