Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can male circumcision act as an impediment to ending FGM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can male circumcision act as an impediment to ending FGM?

Hello, would any of you scholars know of any supporting sources or documentation pointing towards male circumcision acting as an impediment to ending FGM?

Organizations such as The Orchid Project have a goal to eradicate FGM by 2030 however they uphold a double standard that FGM can't be compared to male circumcision. Ironically, the communities they seek to influence don't draw any false distinctions between the cutting of boys and girls so I wouldn't think that the Orchid Project's message would make much sense to these cultures. Rather I think it would be seen as a confusing or non-sensical double-standard to them and not one they would respect.

I just wondered if anyone knew of any evidence to support my theory.

I am not sure I see that as an impediment, but certainly it divides the message that children have the right to body integrity, regardless of gender. An inconsistent message is typically less effective than one that is consistent, in my experience. In my mind, there is a difference between a "weak", due to divided factions, and actual impeding a message, which suggests something blocking it in some way, at least partially.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by 7055 View Post
      Hello, would any of you scholars know of any supporting sources or documentation pointing towards male circumcision acting as an impediment to ending FGM?

Organizations such as The Orchid Project have a goal to eradicate FGM by 2030 however they uphold a double standard that FGM can't be compared to male circumcision. Ironically, the communities they seek to influence don't draw any false distinctions between the cutting of boys and girls so I wouldn't think that the Orchid Project's message would make much sense to these cultures. Rather I think it would be seen as a confusing or non-sensical double-standard to them and not one they would respect.

I just wondered if anyone knew of any evidence to support my theory.
      I don't know her evidence, but Marilyn Milos has said there is no country cutting girls that does not also cut boys.

I'd say it's going to be a much easier task to end FGM if we draw a bright line and say no to all male, female, and intersex forced non-therapeutic genital cutting. In Liberia intersex infants are sometimes killed, and I'd say no that as well.
      -Ron Low
      [email protected]
      847 414-1692 Chicago

Comment

Working...
      X