Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can male circumcision act as an impediment to ending FGM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can male circumcision act as an impediment to ending FGM?

Hello, would any of you scholars know of any supporting sources or documentation pointing towards male circumcision acting as an impediment to ending FGM?

Organizations such as The Orchid Project have a goal to eradicate FGM by 2030 however they uphold a double standard that FGM can't be compared to male circumcision. Ironically, the communities they seek to influence don't draw any false distinctions between the cutting of boys and girls so I wouldn't think that the Orchid Project's message would make much sense to these cultures. Rather I think it would be seen as a confusing or non-sensical double-standard to them and not one they would respect.

I just wondered if anyone knew of any evidence to support my theory.

I am not sure I see that as an impediment, but certainly it divides the message that children have the right to body integrity, regardless of gender. An inconsistent message is typically less effective than one that is consistent, in my experience. In my mind, there is a difference between a "weak", due to divided factions, and actual impeding a message, which suggests something blocking it in some way, at least partially.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by 7055 View Post
      Hello, would any of you scholars know of any supporting sources or documentation pointing towards male circumcision acting as an impediment to ending FGM?

Organizations such as The Orchid Project have a goal to eradicate FGM by 2030 however they uphold a double standard that FGM can't be compared to male circumcision. Ironically, the communities they seek to influence don't draw any false distinctions between the cutting of boys and girls so I wouldn't think that the Orchid Project's message would make much sense to these cultures. Rather I think it would be seen as a confusing or non-sensical double-standard to them and not one they would respect.

I don't know her evidence, but Marilyn Milos has said there is no country cutting girls that does not also cut boys.

I'd say it's going to be a much easier task to end FGM if we draw a bright line and say no to all male, female, and intersex forced non-therapeutic genital cutting. In Liberia intersex infants are sometimes killed, and I'd say no that as well.
      -Ron Low
      [email protected]
      847 414-1692 Chicago

Comment

Originally posted by 7055 View Post

It not only can but neccessarily DOES. The mental gymnastics you need to go through to think that having your sons genitals mutilated is ok can not be limited in their effect, and in any case we would still have to answer why we should regard them differently. When you compromise values, such as the life, health and well being of your children, it never end there, it is either symptomatic of a generally corrupt view of the world (such as with Talmudic Judaism or Islam) or an individual moral FAILURE. A refusal to take responsibility for their own minds and values.

The proof of this is the fact that arguments are being made in court as to why the FGM laws are unconstitutional because of this, as well as the growing prevelence of so-called "gender transition surgeries" for children and the continued practice of "correctional surgeries" for Intersex infants. Genital Mutilation NEVER stops with genital mutilation, degeneracy ALWAYS seeks to spread.

Comment

Originally posted by FatalStrategies View Post
          growing prevelence of so-called "gender transition surgeries" for children
          I'd say the frequency of procedures on children is something we should know, but I don't accept without evidence that the rate is increasing.

Such procedures are called gender-affirming interventions, which is a good name for something that would never be done without the earnest expression of desire for them by the patient.

Originally posted by FatalStrategies View Post
          degeneracy ALWAYS seeks to spread.
          Morals are personal, not absolute. I think if we perceive the spread of degeneracy as we gain life experience, it's perhaps because we feel increased urgency - as our remaining days decrement with each sunset - to leave the world better than we found it. May we each find satisfaction in that pursuit.
          -Ron Low
          [email protected]
          847 414-1692 Chicago

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
            I'd say the frequency of procedures on children is something we should know, but I don't accept without evidence that the rate is increasing.

Such procedures are called gender-affirming interventions, which is a good name for something that would never be done without the earnest expression of desire for them by the patient.

Morals are personal, not absolute. I think if we perceive the spread of degeneracy as we gain life experience, it's perhaps because we feel increased urgency - as our remaining days decrement with each sunset - to leave the world better than we found it. May we each find satisfaction in that pursuit.
            I don't see how that proves this is personal- Morals may be a scam, but Values can never be exclusively personal. As Heidegger points out, if you want a truly democratic institution its death. I think that's what gives our lives meaning-

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post

Please read "The Antichrist" and maybe "The Virtue of selfishness," along with maybe "Being and Nothingness" and "The Ethics of Ambiguity."

Comment

Working...
              X