Nephew Just Born

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nephew Just Born

My nephew was just born recently. My sister is too stubborn to listen to me, but my mother was able to sway her into leaving him intact. I'm glad the old lady was able to redeem herself. I just wanted to spread the good news.

Make sure they know about NOT retracting him. Premature forced retraction is how they perpetuate circumcision. His foreskin will become retractable in due time on its own.

Comment

That's great. To follow up on parsecskin, this is a good source for intact care information:

https://www.yourwholebaby.org/basic-intact-care/
      Visit my restoration progress journal.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

And I'll add the additional heads-up to parsec and mj's posts by mentioning that during each and every well-baby visit the parents should remind the pediatrician and/or the PA that the infant's penis is not to be touched. Inspected (by lifting it), fine, but not touched otherwise.

Here's why: their assessment algorithm (the inspection check list) demands that they cover all bases as they see the bases (and that's fine), so input from the parent(s) is always needed, until the providers understand they can leave that box alone, unless there seems to be additional clinical symptoms. An un-retracted foreskin with no other symptoms is not a clinical issue.

And I'll echo greg's post by also saying congrats.

Comment

Congratulations on becoming an uncle, and for already having had a positive impact on your new nephew’s life!

When I’ve done volunteer staffing of the NOCIRC of Michigan booth at the Ann Arbor Art Fairs, we've always had parents of young intact sons come visit the booth to complain that there are scared to death that a medical professional is going to forcibly retract their young son’s foreskin at an office visit.

The way we have handled the situation is to give them an armful of NOCIRC pamphlets on the care of the intact penis and on the forced retraction issue. We tell them to give a set of pamphlets to each medical professional that will see their son, and request that the medical professional put the pamphlets in their son’s medical file. We give the parents lots of pamphlets because it is it not unusual for a child to be seen by a battery of different doctors in different offices, each maintaining their own files. (I am aghast at how many different doctors perfectly healthy kids see these days.) Sets of pamphlets should also be given to head nurses, and consider giving them to hospital administrators too. In handing out the pamphlets, you are educating, you are protecting you son, and you are serving the medical professional with written documents that may serve as a basis for your legal recourse should things still (ugh!) go wrong.

The NOCIRC pamphlets are downloadable from here:
            http://nocirc.org/publish/

The Doctors Opposing Circumcision web site keeps getting better and better:
            I’ve just noticed that Doctors Opposing Circumcision web site has a downloadable document on the The Care of the Intact Penis that is very authoritative. It might be better than the NOCIRC pamphlets. I leave the decision to you:

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...-intact-penis/

circumstitions.com has a handy downloadable Non-Circumcision Notification Form to give to medical professionals to include on your child’s medical chart. Remember to scroll down to also see the handy sticker designs to also put on your son’s chart:
            http://www.circumstitions.com/Refusal.html

The Intactivism Shop sells baby t-shirts and buttons with No Circumcision and No Retraction messages for medical staff:
            http://www.cafepress.com/intactivism/673544

Some free T-shirt design transfers are downloadable from here, for do-it-yourself T-shirt makers.
            http://www.circumstitions.com/t-shirts.html

To find a foreskin-friendly doctor:
            1) If you have an active NOCIRC Chapter near you, they are often the very best people to ask for a referral to a foreskin-friendly doctor.
            2) There are lists of foreskin-friendly doctors posted to the web in a number of places. Google using search terms like foreskin-friendly doctors or intact-friendly doctors.
            3) Always confirm the intact-knowledgeability of the staff at the time of making a medical appointment.

David
            World As Monkey Island
            Last edited by Science Monk; 03-12-2017, 11:36 PM. Reason: fixed URL, typos
            I declared myself finished restoring with 3/4 erect coverage (CI-8.5) in 2005. I primarily used T-tape, strapping up and around my waist.
            I've participated in NORM meetings in San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle (RECAP), and Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Every doubt, reservation, or concern I had about my restoration was resolved by achieving additional LENGTH.....So just KOT !

Comment

On the face of it, not a really bad idea, so perhaps worth trying in a respectful way....

But here's the difficulty with it: it can force the physician to stand his/her ground, especially if there's any question about symptoms. Why? Professionals are just people, so like everyone else who've gone through the gauntlet of education/training/experience, they have a tendency to balance all the blood and sweat, and their clinical experience, against some usually simplistic, 3 color pamphlet worded for laymen, handed to them by a layman, as some pronouncement from on high. Certainly the parents and the patient have rights, but you've walked into the physician's territory, you are requesting their expertise, so appeal to it as you state what you can and can't tolerate for your child. Worth keeping that in mind.

So how would you do that?

Most pediatrician's offices know the patient and the parents (contrary to what was implied above), so asking if they have a way for the physician or the PA to put something in the infant/child's chart re specific parent wishes is really the best way, rather than waving some pamphlet in their faces before you broach the subject. The provider will refer to his or her clinical notes, first and foremost, rather than some street booth hand-out. If you offer a pamphlet and it's accepted(I wouldn't suggest it) then fine, but it will be the clinical notes over all. And, make sure you are present when your child is examined. Simple, really.

I have to laugh, I get hammered here for being straight-up knowledgeable, experienced and truthful, all up in the know-nothings' faces, yet the first move some guys want to suggest, with your child's provider no less, is exactly the same, when you don't have the educational background, etc. This is the time to use a little tact. The pediatrician's office isn't a restoration forum, or a chance to "educate", and certainly not a chance to be militant. You are simply making your personal, parental stance known. You have that right. So do that. Draw the line. But don't hide behind anything like a pamphlet. It has absolutely no authority, which makes it too easily disregarded. Paint your crotch red on your own time. The office visit is your child's time.

So the bottom line, really, is you aren't going up against some criminal (or a forum bullshitter/ignorant hate monger who will imply that all "doctors" are criminals). Communicate with the provider, and the office. Be clear, use your own voice, not some canned, third party. If you think the provider isn't listening then you chose the wrong provider, and that's on you, not them. You won't convince anybody to change their practice with anything other than your own advocacy for your child. By all means, please, please, be specific about what you will and won't tolerate, but do it from your own ground. It's there, so own it. Most well meaning professionals will respect that, and they'll tell you to do the same thing. If you want to hand somebody something, write a simple letter listing your wishes, sign it, and ask to have that included in the chart. Keep a copy. Way more authority because (here it comes mj) it's legal. Believe me, "legal" carries mucho weight in healthcare. If some pamphlet states your rationale better than you can, then use it, as a guide in writing your letter.

The War may never be won, but each every-day skirmish (if you choose to see it that way) can be won, with your child the beneficiary, if you think Sun Tzu, not Schwarzenegger (or in this case, Seseme Street). Children need medical care; do it the right way.

(and as parsec will tell you, don't sign a freakin' contract )
              Last edited by Info; 03-11-2017, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X