Horrible Forced Foreskin Retraction In Atlanta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Forced Foreskin Retraction In Atlanta

I first learned of this horrible case from the Intact America newsletter a week or so ago.

So far I don't think I've seen it mentioned on any of the message boards that I visit.

I find it incredible that a hospital would have a "protocol" requiring the retraction of the foreskin of baby boys.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2018/01/prweb15081870.htm Subscriptions (1)

Should be a slam dunk case (in Calif it would be), and here's why:

The nurse and the facility will have to present a standing written protocol. If your defense is based on one, you better have one. This protocol will have to be in a physical form which is kept on the ER floor. Floor protocols are agreed on and underwritten by one or more (usually at least several) physicians.

The nurse and the facility will have to reveal in court (if it comes to a court case) past instances where it was followed. The outcome of those instances will have to be charted (put in written form) by any nurse or patient tech who inserted the cath. This is a matter of basic charting, you can't leave it out of the chart, especially if there was an adverse incident. Patient charts are considered legal documents. If no written protocol can be presented, and any action which resulted in patient harm was a result of her unsupported "understanding" of practice, or "opinion", then he or she is goin' up the river, ie his or her license will be suspended, when he or she faces the State Board. This should apply to the charge nurse (the nurse's supervisor) as well, who is supposed to have a wider skill in patient assessment. The facility's liability, however, is less clear.

Most likely the facility will distance itself from the case, whether or not there is a protocol in place. Here's the thing: Nurses are facility employees, but they consider themselves, and in my state are legally considered, patient advocates, first and foremost. It is understood that a specific nurse's "opinion" is personal, and not part of his or her practice. The patient's safety is paramount. If a physician orders a cath to be inserted, and this requires a retraction of a two month old's foreskin, and that nurse views this as causing possible harm when the insertion becomes difficult, then it is incumbent on that nurse to refuse, and communicate with her supervisor, and with the ordering physician. The ordering physician will get pissed off, but he or she can then do the procedure, or at least be in attendance for guidance, in a situation which can disrupt tissues. This is a catheterization, not a circumcision. This is the way it's supposed to work (in anything less than a mass casualty situation).

Does this mean there aren't dumb-fuck nurses out there, who are happy to crash through the scenario and impose their own limited, opinionated take on what should happen (or be woefully ignorant of a two month old male's only partially formed genatalia)? There are. I've seen it; I have stories, from the minor, to quite serious infractions. Sadly, that's real life. Did each and every one swing for it? No. This could be part of what was described in this case.

But, (and just as sadly) this may help to serve as a step in the right direction regarding the circ/intact issues involved. Sounds heartless to say it this way, but the real world begins to change more often based on fault and damage, and less on good intentions.

(Ok social media wankers, your turn............)
    Last edited by Reality; 02-24-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Reality, thanks for explaining all of the possibilities of what could happen with this lawsuit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRifleman View Post
        Reality, thanks for explaining all of the possibilities of what could happen with this lawsuit.
        You're welcome. I don't know that it will be all the possibilities (I'm not an attorney), but I've listed the most basic issues involved in the clinical world.

Comment

Originally posted by resto-mod
          It's sad to see but also funny how the parents have a better understanding of human anatomy than the trained medical professionals that are supposed to "help" people.
          Nurses are NOT "trained medical professional". Nurses are not part of medicine in any way. That's the whole point of my initial post, and the basic point of any legal argument. Nurses need to turn to a medical professional when facing a potential problem patient. Apparently that sailed past you.

In fact, trained "medical" professionals do have an excellent understanding of human anatomy. And some nurses have a decent understanding of human anatomy and physiology (which is more pertinent in this case) as it applies to the dedicated floor specialty. If you had an understanding, even just a minimal understanding, of what nurses vs medical professionals have or don't have, then you'd be another resource for this forum, or a resource enough (at least) to comment on the subject, rather than being just another missed-it-by-a-mile pot shot artist.

I know that the WI position underlying all the straw man argument one can read here, is king, but really, do you want to be known for that? You can do better. Want to know how? Don't think you understand what you think you're looking at, until you've looked at it, and better yet, experienced it.

Again, the representation for the plaintiff stands to prevail if there is no written protocol, or there is one which wasn't present on the ER floor, which wasn't consulted due to "opinion" or "understanding", in a non emergency situation, and, if there wasn't due caution exercised on the delicate FUSED genital tissues by any and all who came in contact with that patient. But you'd have to have some understanding of "medical professionals"and the expectations placed on them, as well as the expectations for those who aren't "medical professionals", to make any sort of comment specific to the clinical realm in this thread. Anybody else's opinion, like yours in this case, is just like that nurse's opinion; blows chunks.

And, by far not the least, there is nothing "funny" about it, ace, for anybody involved. You know what saying it's funny, makes you, right? Starts with the letter "A". You guys always reveal yourselves. You just can't help but reveal yourselves, and your limitations in this life.
          Last edited by Reality; 02-27-2018, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X