Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can circumcision interfere with romantic relationships between men and women?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can circumcision interfere with romantic relationships between men and women?

I heard from many sources that uncircumcised men have a much stronger bond with their girlfriends or wives than circumcised men do.

Here are some quotes from this article https://circumcision.org/how-male-ci...n-harms-women/:

"Because research is limited, we can only speculate about how the potential psychological effects of circumcision on men could inhibit their relationships with women. For example, low male self-esteem, shame, fear, distrust, and sexual anxiety can adversely affect communication and limit the degree of intimacy. In addition, sexual intimacy is a major component of male-female bonding, and research has shown that male sexual activity increases when self-esteem is higher. If circumcision lowers both male self-esteem and sexual sensitivity (to be discussed later), it would tend to reduce male sexual activity and consequently weaken the pair bond.

Male-female relationships could also be restricted because some circumcised men may feel a nagging sense that passion, excitement, or sexual fulfillment is missing. If a man believes he cannot experience what he is missing with a woman, he may withhold commitment and continually seek new women to give him hope. In addition, the reduced emotional expression of circumcised men may dampen women’s feelings. As a result, both men and women may feel something is missing from their relationships.

From a larger perspective, it would not be surprising if circumcision were found to have a negative effect on interpersonal relationships, since circumcision is a trauma, and trauma commonly impairs a person’s relations with others. Harvard psychiatrist, professor, and author Judith Herman writes that after a traumatic event “a sense of alienation, of disconnection, pervades every relationship.”

Research has also shown that men have a lower physiological tolerance to emotional stress than women do. Emotional numbing, a response to trauma, would tend to reduce a person’s tolerance to emotional stress. This would account for the male tendency to avoid certain situations, such as marital conflict. One method men use to control their exposure to this emotional stress is to respond rationally rather than emotionally. Another tactic is to withdraw or stonewall during a conflict. Both behaviors can weaken the marital relationship by restricting communication and leaving conflicts unresolved. Does circumcision increase America’s uniquely high divorce rate?

Emotional numbing also affects our sensitivity to others’ pain because it is related to our sensitivity to our own pain. When an infant is subjected to the trauma of circumcision with nobody responding to his cries, he experiences our insensitivity to his pain. If we do not have empathy for infants, they may not have empathy for others. A male acquaintance, after reading about circumcision, remarked, “It hurts, and the baby screams. So what?” Circumcision may be an early experience that reduces male empathy.

It appears that there are a few reasons why circumcision could be a contributing factor to relationship difficulties between men and women. More research is needed."

"To understand how circumcision may impair women’s sexual relationships with men, we need to learn about the foreskin. Christopher Cold, M.D., Chairman of Anatomical Pathology at the Marshfield Clinic in Marshfield, Wisconsin, has studied and written about the foreskin. “It has important functions. The foreskin protects the head of the penis throughout life from contamination, friction, drying, and injury. It is an integral, natural part of the penis, not ‘extra.’ On the average adult male it is about twelve square inches [some circumcised men guess less than one square inch], and it consists of a movable, double-layered sleeve. The foreskin enhances sexual pleasure. Detailed study shows that it is made up of unique zones with several kinds of specialized nerves that are important to natural sexual function and experiencing the full range of sexual sensations.”

Loss of the foreskin results in thickening and progressive desensitization of the outer layer of the head of the penis, particularly in older men. Some men circumcised as adults report a significant loss of sensitivity and regret the change. Circumcision may be an unrecognized factor in the high rates of erectile dysfunction in American men, which would involve associated psychological effects. Of course, any sexual and associated psychological effects on men would affect women.

Women who have only had sex with circumcised men may not know what they are missing. According to surveys in the medical literature, women reported that they were significantly more likely to have vaginal dryness during intercourse with circumcised men than genitally intact men. A medical journal survey of women who had comparative sexual experience included 138 responses. Other things being equal, on a scale of ten, they rated genitally intact men 8.03 and circumcised men 1.81. With circumcised partners, women were less likely to have one or multiple vaginal orgasms, and their circumcised partners were more likely to have a premature ejaculation. Circumcision was also connected with vaginal discomfort. Women were less likely to “really get into it” and more likely to “want to get it over with” if their partner was circumcised.

The results can be explained. The foreskin, as previously mentioned, is a movable, double-layered sleeve. During intercourse, it glides up and down the penile shaft, reducing friction and retaining vaginal secretions. Without the foreskin, the skin on the penile shaft rubs against the vaginal wall, resulting in friction and increasing the need for artificial lubrication. The circumcised man has less sensitivity and requires deeper and harder thrusting to try to compensate, further increasing the friction.

With circumcised partners, surveyed women were more likely to feel unappreciated, distanced, disinterested, frustrated, and discontented. When their partners were not circumcised, women were more likely to feel intimate with their partners, relaxed, warmth, mutual satisfaction, and “complete as a woman,” and the greater sexual satisfaction benefited the relationship. To be clear, this does not mean that women cannot have a satisfying emotional and sexual relationship with a circumcised man. Other things being equal, it means that such a relationship may be likely to be even more satisfying if the man were not circumcised."
    Last edited by GreenMonsterDrink; 02-01-2020, 08:56 PM.

I need to read the entire article, but what you posted is an interesting read and I can relate to several parts of it in the second quoted section.

Comment

Well I read the entire article and several other things on that site. Makes me wish circumcision was illegal. I know a lot of the article stated more research was needed because of lack of meaningful data but it all makes sense, I can attest to that. If the physical brakes down the rest will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by s0mebody View Post
        Well I read the entire article and several other things on that site. Makes me wish circumcision was illegal. I know a lot of the article stated more research was needed because of lack of meaningful data but it all makes sense, I can attest to that. If the physical brakes down the rest will follow.
        I wish circumcision was illegal too. I was circumcised as a baby, and I hate being circumcised. It drives me crazy knowing that I will never know what sex feels like the way that nature intended it to. And also, the dryness drives me crazy.

Comment

Thanks to the OP. The quoted post above can easily serve as an intactivist resource. It will piss off many urologists, of course, but that probably needs to happen before we see a change in neonatal circ.

Comment

Pheromones swapping. Foreskin makes male pheromones. No foreskin, not many male pheromones produced. Simple. Plus sex with a cut dick ain't nearly as good.

Comment

Originally posted by parsecskin View Post
              Pheromone swapping. Foreskin makes male pheromones. No foreskin, not many male pheromones produced. Simple.
              That's the rumor, only found on intactivist / restoration sites (that I know of), but a source to link to would help.

Comment

Originally posted by parsecskin View Post
                Pheromones swapping. Foreskin makes male pheromones. No foreskin, not many male pheromones produced. Simple. Plus sex with a cut dick ain't nearly as good.
                Also, I heard that circumcision reduces female pleasure and a man's ability to give a woman vaginal orgasms. And also, I heard that circumcision destroys the natural bond of love and intimacy that is supposed to be built through the shared experience of love making.

Comment

As someone who was cut and 25, yes I agree with this article.

Comment

Working...
                  X