Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It seems that a lot of circumcised men are in extreme denial about the negative effects of circumcision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems that a lot of circumcised men are in extreme denial about the negative effects of circumcision

Whenever I talked to men (who told me they were circumcised), they always defended the procedure and denied the negative effects of circumcision and tried looking for any excuse for why it should be done to infants.

However, whenever I talked to men (who told me they were uncircumcised), they seemed a lot more likely to question the procedure and were more likely to be against it being done to infants.

Here's some statements from this website: http://www.cirp.org/library/psych/

Denial of loss. Persons who have lost body parts must grieve their loss.41,42,43,45 The first stage of grief is denial of the loss.25Fitzgerald and Parkes state that "Anything that seriously impairs sensory or cognitive function is bound to have profound psychological effects, not only on the person who is affected but also on family, friends, workmates, and caregivers."42 The thought of permanent loss of sensory function is so painful that persons deny their loss in order to avoid facing the painful feelings.42 Denial of loss causes a flight from reality. Parkes et al. state that persons in denial may minimize their loss.41-43 Circumcision causes the loss of a body part and all of its functions including a drastic loss of erogenous sensory function, so denial of loss is not uncommon in circumcised males. Circumcised males may experience the full range of distress and emotional dysfunction resulting from loss. This frequently results in circumcised fathers adamantly insisting that a son be circumcised.25,29, 57

Fathers are frequently unable to vocalize their feelings. They will say that "I want my son to look like me," even though the child may be different in eye color, hair color, and other aspects. In fact, what the father really may be feeling is, "I don't want a son with an intact penis to remind me of what I have lost."
Working...
X