Intact Man and Cystoscopic Exam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intact Man and Cystoscopic Exam

On this message board, we all repeatedly discuss the ignorance of American doctors about the male foreskin.

And, I'm sure many of us remember the case of the intact man in Louisiana who was under anesthetic for heart surgery, and the heart surgeon did not know how to put a urinary catheter into an intact man, so she cut off his foreskin in order to do so.

I have an intact friend who is scheduled to have a cystoscopic exam next month (June), and I was just wondering if he would be in danger of befalling the same fate as that poor man in Louisiana?

I would think that even tho seeing an intact patient would be rare in this country, that most urologists would have some experience with doing cystoscopic exams of intact men that they would not be ignorant enough to do what that heart surgeon in Louisiana did.

And, having had a cystoscopic exam myself, I know it is done under local anesthetic, so if this friend of mine were to run into the same situation of that man in Louisiana, the urologist doing the cystoscopy would have to tell him that he needed to cut off his patient's foreskin, and the patient could refuse to consent, and the cystoscopy would be stopped then and there.

I suppose this post is directed at intact board members who have undergone cystoscopic exams, but at the same time at restoring members also.

Would any of you board members have any advice that I could pass along to this friend of mine, as to what to ask, or tell the urologist before the cystoscopy?

That is ignorant. You have to pull the skin back to cut it off, so if it moves out of the way DONT CUT IT OFF!!!! Move it and do what needs done but leave me intact. I would so own that person.

Comment

Cathing a patient prior to an exam or a procedure is usually done by so-called patient care techs (which is why I doubt that original story is true; that, and for other reasons), or possibly, an RN. But here's the thing: ANY physician can place a urinary cath in a patient WITHOUT surgery lol; same for care techs and nurses. BUT IT IS SIMPLY NOT THE PHYSICIAN'S EXPECTED JOB TO DO THAT PROCEDURE! The catheter comes in a kit form, with the catheter, some Betadine to bathe the glans with, a cotton puff used with the Betadine (you saturate the puff, held in a pair of tweezer-like things so there is no skin contact, ie no transfer of flora when cathing the patient, and a syringe to blow up the balloon tip of the catheter. THE ONLY ISSUE THE CARE GIVER CAN FACE ARE STRICTURES along the urethra, and even then there are steps you can take, which most care techs know all about. No care tech, short of a psychotic individual, would EVER attempt circumcision, and this applies to a cardiologist as well. THEY DON'T DO IT, THEY DON'T EXPECT TO DO IT, THEY DON'T WANT TO DO IT.

So it is not only HIGHLY unlikely that your friend risks circumcision, NOBODY risks circumcision when a urinary catheter is placed. It is simply unheard of, EVEN IN A PATIENT CASE WHERE THE PHYSICIAN SEES A PENIS WITH A CLINICALLY PROBLEMATIC FORESKIN!

There is so much bullshit out there. All it takes is one week on any facility floor to recognize it.

Comment

I should add, the same applies to placing the scope. Any patient who is circumcised due to an imaging procedure can sue and OWN that physician or tech. If the patient has a clinically problematic foreskin he needs to SPEAK UP BEFORE THE PROCEDURE! An infected foreskin CAN cause UTIs, including nephritis, so its presence can be seen clinically as a problem (because its infected) but this might stop the imaging, NOT result in an immediate and un-consented excision of foreskin tissue just prior to the imaging.

Comment

As long as you're awake and can keep an eye on them, you should be good. Being put under, I'd be terrified because doctors in this country are indeed ignorant and bound by ludicrous regulations. Regulations say you can't let the patient pee the bed, so chop off a chunk of his penis if that's what it takes to get a catheter in there.

Could just stick a towel down there to soak up any pee leaks... humanity's complete lack of even basic sense makes me wonder how we've managed to reach the top of the food chain.

Comment

Well, my friend reported that yesterday he got thru the cystoscopic exam, which didn't find anything really wrong with his urinary system, and the urologist did not try to get him to agree to foreskin amputation.

Comment

Working...
            X