Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010-10-01 Canadian Family Physician Journal - Gairdner was Wrong (age of first foreskin retraction = 10.4 years)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010-10-01 Canadian Family Physician Journal - Gairdner was Wrong (age of first foreskin retraction = 10.4 years)

Gairdner was Wrong is an article by George Denniston and George Hill

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2954072/.

In this article Denniston and Hill refute the long-accepted finding published by Gairdner in 1949 that toddlers should be retractable. Gairdner's other findings have been valuable but the idea that foreskins should be retracted by anyone but the penis owner has caused a lot of suffering.

From the article:
    "Thorvaldsen and Meyhoff carried out a survey in Denmark and reported that the mean age of first foreskin retraction is 10.4 years."
    -Ron Low
    [email protected]
    847 414-1692 Chicago

It describes the age of first foreskin retraction - I'm assuming this means by the child himself. The age at which retraction becomes physically possible might be long before a boy first does it.

The age shouldn't really matter, though, if the point is to discourage physicians from forcibly retracting it.

Comment

My son was retracting himself in the bath at about 3, but I guess all kids are different.

Comment

Originally posted by z726 View Post
        It describes the age of first foreskin retraction - I'm assuming this means by the child himself. The age at which retraction becomes physically possible might be long before a boy first does it.
        The way I'm guessing most boys are fiddling with their skin, I'd say the moment retraction is physically possible in each case is really close to the time that retraction event happens.
        -Ron Low
        [email protected]
        847 414-1692 Chicago

Comment

Working...
        X