Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016-06-15 Columbia Engineering Journal - Researchers First to Grow Living Bone that Replicates Original Anatomical Structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016-06-15 Columbia Engineering Journal - Researchers First to Grow Living Bone that Replicates Original Anatomical Structure

Researchers First to Grow Living Bone that Replicates Original Anatomical Structure

http://engineering.columbia.edu/face-future-0

They did it Foregen style. They grew artificial bone in the lab from the patient's own DNA and then implanted it.

= = = = = Face of the Future

Columbia Engineering Researchers First to Grow Living Bone that Replicates Original Anatomical Structure

Regenerated bone, with mineralized matrix (red) and strong vascular supply (vessels with red blood cells seen in cavities)
    —Images and video courtesy of Sarindr Bhumiratana

New York, NY—June 15, 2016—A new technique developed by Gordana Vunjak-Novakovic, the Mikati Foundation Professor of Biomedical Engineering at Columbia Engineering and professor of medical sciences (in Medicine) at Columbia University, repairs large bone defects in the head and face by using lab-grown living bone, tailored to the patient and the defect being treated. This is the first time researchers have grown living bone that precisely replicates the original anatomical structure, using autologous stem cells derived from a small sample of the recipient’s fat. The study is published today in Science Translational Medicine.

“We’ve been able to show, in a clinical-size porcine model of jaw repair, that this bone, grown in vitro and then implanted, can seamlessly regenerate a large defect while providing mechanical function,” says Vunjak-Novakovic, who is also the director of Columbia’s Laboratory for Stem Cells and Tissue Engineering, co-director of the Craniofacial Regeneration Center, and director of the Bioreactor Core of the NIH Tissue Engineering Center. “The need is huge, especially for congenital defects, trauma, and bone repair after cancer surgery. The quality of the regenerated tissue, including vascularization with blood perfusion, exceeds what has been achieved using other approaches. So this is a very exciting step forward in improving regenerative medicine options for patients with craniofacial defects, and we hope to start clinical trials within a few years.”
    . . .
    -Ron Low
    [email protected]
    847 414-1692 Chicago

Thanks for the article. It adds to our knowledge.

Let me add a little more:

Obviously I have to take exception to your description of "Foregen style", when Foregen has no "style" in any way, shape, or form. which relates to something tangible, not to mention anything like a successful......something. Nothing at all.

In other words, Foregen has a website, and talk, and money collection, but nothing anyone can see, hold, or even talk about, and certainly no peer review article, which always comes after years of experimentation. Foregen doesn't have a statement of projected planning, let alone penile foreskin tissue prototype plans, no combined foreskin tissue prototype (like the real thing) plans. I'm just talking about plans, something at least somewhat detailed in the way of even a hypothetical. They just talk around the subject. And that's it.

And of course, the researchers above are way this side of an approved commercial product available to the medical community. This is all experimental. But most importantly, the fundamental thing that Foregen does not have is.......... any credibility in anybody's community; either ours, or the professional research community.

The other issue to consider is that, while this is great news for trauma sufferers (tentative cause for celebration), it not only has no bearing on foreskin tissue per se, it also shows where the priorities are (as they should be), ie reconstruction of trauma damage, birth defects. This, compared to the pie-in-the-sky "foreskin reversal" (whatever that means) which would inevitably be considered by all professionals as a cosmetic product, ie an artificial foreskin facsimile. And of course this assumes rather naively that anyone would considered it a viable investment at all.
    Last edited by Info; 08-15-2016, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Yeah Info, I was kinda still putting my hopes on foregen too. Looks like you stated the hard cold facts. Having an amazing possibility of foreskin regeneration lying around just hypes me.

Well looking at how things are now for foregen I would still place small hopes on them. But restoring for a more whole self is a much feasable and sure way to improve my equipment...But I think it's more of a mental thing. Seeing that scar everytime reminds me I'll never have the great experiences intact man have and the fact the first non family member to touch my dick is a man......on top of it cut it !

Well let's just KOT!

Gonna grow myself a warm cozy sock!

Comment

Working...
      X