Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we catalog FR Information for New Users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we catalog FR Information for New Users?

I've been on this forum for a couple years, and one of the things I have consistently noticed is that (mostly) new members frequently make their debut by asking a question that has been asked multiple times before (sometimes, within days of each other). In an effort to both combat this, and provide in-depth information that could be useful to people in any stage of their FR—I would like to suggest a sticky thread be placed in the "Welcome/Orientation Center" section.

Such a thread could include everything from diagrams about basic anatomy (not many people come into FR knowing what a meatus or sulcus is), descriptions on using the various manual methods of FR, an explanation of the "Coverage Index" and "Forced Erect Coverage" systems of measurement (and how to apply them), tips/suggestions regarding restoration, and anything else that would be both acceptable for all users—in terms of content—and useful. This information is already available on this forum, the problem is...you have to know where to look. Placing this knowledge in the newcomer section would consolidate it all in one place, providing answers to common questions before they're even asked.

The "Glossary" thread is a good start (and I think it would be right at home as part of the thread I'm suggesting) but we can do much better, I think. The FAQ link provided in it is incredibly bloated, and contains things that would be irrelevant to those who aren't intact. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that not many restorers need to know how to deal with phimosis, for example. In this case, relevant information is buried underneath a mountain of general penis information, totally unrelated to FR.

I have been compiling information for some time, and may even be willing to write up a rough-draft for consideration.
    Do you have any interest in adding a permanent thread like this (or making significant modifications to the existing "Glossary" thread)?

The Metal One i personally dont have anything to add as I'm only 2 weeks in but I would say this would be helpful. I legit just decided to read through your entire progress thread to learn stuff when I came to the forums. I will say Ive been involved in the PE forums for a few years now and almost all good ones have just what you explained but relevant to PE vs FR. There are still terms and such I have to go looking for and its not as simple as typing it into the search box as that brings up all instances it was used.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTemple View Post
      The Metal One i personally dont have anything to add as I'm only 2 weeks in but I would say this would be helpful. I legit just decided to read through your entire progress thread to learn stuff when I came to the forums. I will say Ive been involved in the PE forums for a few years now and almost all good ones have just what you explained but relevant to PE vs FR. There are still terms and such I have to go looking for and its not as simple as typing it into the search box as that brings up all instances it was used.
      What you mention here is what prompted this suggestion. I've had a lot of guys on here reply or PM me, saying my progress gallery was a source of a lot of information for them.
      There are two issues I have with this: 1, there is no obvious indication that my progress gallery has an abundance of info (so new people with questions might not find it). 2, I don't necessarily want my progress photos to be something a person is forced to see, if they want tips and advice. Some guys are certainly not into the idea of checking out progress pics of another man's penis, and that's perfectly fine...except that they might miss out on something that could be useful for their own restoration. I see no reason that should be the case.

To clarify, I'm not suggesting that the details and advice from my progress gallery become a permanent fixture of the "Welcome" section. The things that would go into this not-yet-existing sticky post would be nothing but information and advice that is accepted as being fact, either by the scientific community, or the FR community. I wouldn't, for example, attempt to declare that my routine of tugging 8-10 hours per day (every day) is the best way to restore—because no one can know that. However, I would like to include things like: how to tell if you have a frenulum, general anatomy, tips on how or when to target inner/outer/dorsal/ventral skin to correct unevenness, and things of that nature. I've seen multiple questions on these topics from new members.

I'd like this to be something that a newcomer could read, and walk away feeling knowledgeable about—and encouraged to begin/continue—foreskin restoration.

Comment

The Metal One I agree what your suggesting is needed here. I've ask multiple questions of some of the few things you named already on here. There is still plenty I'd like to know but I feel its becomes annoying to keep asking so I try to find it or just google.

You making it all into 1 sticky thread would for sure knock down the repeat noobish questions. Hope you can get some help putting it together.

Comment

I think this is a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by 4SkinGuy View Post
            I think this is a great idea.
            Thank you. Hopefully, something comes of it.
            Would be nice to, at least, get an "I'll think about it" response from someone with the ability to make the decision to implement it.

Comment

Hey, The Metal One. I started a similar project some years ago although I haven't been consistently committed to it:
              https://foreskinrestoration.vbulleti...nts-and-salves

There's probably some overlap with what you've looked into yourself and I encourage you to post in that topic and call attention to certain threads so I can more easily update my list. I also need to reclassify a lot of those threads as "inactive".

Comment

Originally posted by eeeee View Post
                Hey, The Metal One. I started a similar project some years ago although I haven't been consistently committed to it:
                https://foreskinrestoration.vbulleti...nts-and-salves

There's probably some overlap with what you've looked into yourself and I encourage you to post in that topic and call attention to certain threads so I can more easily update my list. I also need to reclassify a lot of those threads as "inactive".
                Thanks, I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal One View Post
                  I've been on this forum for a couple years, and one of the things I have consistently noticed is that (mostly) new members frequently make their debut by asking a question that has been asked multiple times before (sometimes, within days of each other). In an effort to both combat this, and provide in-depth information that could be useful to people in any stage of their FR—I would like to suggest a sticky thread be placed in the "Welcome/Orientation Center" section.

Such a thread could include everything from diagrams about basic anatomy (not many people come into FR knowing what a meatus or sulcus is), descriptions on using the various manual methods of FR, an explanation of the "Coverage Index" and "Forced Erect Coverage" systems of measurement (and how to apply them), tips/suggestions regarding restoration, and anything else that would be both acceptable for all users—in terms of content—and useful. This information is already available on this forum, the problem is...you have to know where to look. Placing this knowledge in the newcomer section would consolidate it all in one place, providing answers to common questions before they're even asked.

The "Glossary" thread is a good start (and I think it would be right at home as part of the thread I'm suggesting) but we can do much better, I think. The FAQ link provided in it is incredibly bloated, and contains things that would be irrelevant to those who aren't intact. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that not many restorers need to know how to deal with phimosis, for example. In this case, relevant information is buried underneath a mountain of general penis information, totally unrelated to FR.

I have been compiling information for some time, and may even be willing to write up a rough-draft for consideration.
                  Do you have any interest in adding a permanent thread like this (or making significant modifications to the existing "Glossary" thread)?
                  The answer to your titular question is: "no". Such a thing needs an editor (who the hell would want that headache). So first, there is a need to vote for, and name that editor. It would also need a comment section, or said differently, a rebuttal section, and a person who can demand (with teeth) proof of statements (anecdotal BS is not proof). You can see where I'm going with this; on all the forums I've ever been a member of, there has been nothing but restoration myth and self-promoting bullshit (aka outright lies). You can go right to the Progress subsection and see exactly what I mean by this. There isn't enough knowledge here about human anatomy and physiology, let alone the ins and outs of everyday restoration, to support GOOD information being cataloged (by "good" I mean truthful).

Comment

Well, I can think of two things that do this more or less, but not here, however, given these two resources, maybe that suffices?

http://www.restoringforeskin.org/for...uide-restoring

http://www.circumstitions.com/

Also, the way this forum is structured, you can get to specific topics fairly easily:

https://foreskinrestoration.vbulletin.net/

Beyond that, if a a small team wanted to compile and edit such a guide, I am willing to help.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by greg_b View Post
                      Well, I can think of two things that do this more or less, but not here, however, given these two resources, maybe that suffices?

http://www.restoringforeskin.org/for...uide-restoring

http://www.circumstitions.com/

Also, the way this forum is structured, you can get to specific topics fairly easily:

https://foreskinrestoration.vbulletin.net/

Beyond that, if a a small team wanted to compile and edit such a guide, I am willing to help.

Regards
                      The first link you gave is, somewhat, what I had in mind. At least, structurally. What I'd like to see would be a bit more detailed than that, and would use links as sparingly as possible. Actually, it'd be great if this site had a newcomer guide that was good enough that other people linked to it, instead of the other way around. The bar is pretty low; there is tons of information out there, but each guide only has part of the whole picture. I've never seen one that I would consider sufficient, if used as a guy's only source of info for restoration. I think I could very easily write up something comprehensive and well-organized. My experience has shown me that you have to gather pieces of the puzzle from reading/watching multiple guides, if you want to go into it fully informed. I know I could solve that, if no one else will. Or, of course, someone in charge of the site could do it, if they felt so inclined.

The second link, I can't tell whether it was difficult to navigate, or just didn't have the relevant info that we're looking for.

As to your final point, you're correct that you can find posts that way...but that is clearly not intuitive enough to solve the problem. The issues I described have been around for (at least) as long as I've been here, which means the system has been continuously failing to be used by new guys. That's why I'm asking for the sticky post, and why I'm requesting that it be placed in the section that is specifically for newcomers. I don't know about you, but that was the first area of the forum I ever explored, and it's clearly where a lot of new guys go when they first get into FR.

Comment

This is kind of amusing. A resource only has to tell the truth, and admit when it doesn't know the truth (aka facts). So, a simple description of so-called "restoration" and its goals is all that's needed. You can attach a FAQ subsection to this structure to mine from.

1. Restoration aims to................................(whatever the goals of restoration are); these goals are or are not realistic for the following scientifically researched reasons.

2. The terms used in restoration are: ................................. What do they mean? Ask the user of the terms.

And so on.

Comment

One thing's for sure... if you give up before you start because you believe it won't work out, there's a 100% chance it won't work out.
                          If you just go for it, even if it gets off to a rough start, there's a good chance that it will grow into something worthwhile.

My recommendation is to not be too scientific about it. For one, few of us know (or can even understand) the cellular aspect, and for another, knowing it is unnecessary... If you maintain an effective tugging regimen you're gonna grow skin at the same rate whether you understand the cellular mechanics behind it or not. The goal should be isolating proven effective regimens. Figuring out how and why they are effective isn't important, and is likely impossible since there's no way (that I know of) to witness the cellular mechanics in action.

Comment

Working...
                          X