Weight testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight testing

Over on another restoring board, one of the more advanced men mentioned using a 1 7/8" trailer hitch ball as a weight. At under $10 us, that seemed like a nicer option to see if weights work with your lifestyle. This is the USA style hitch which bolts to a coupler that goes in the drawbar, not the Euro style curved forged piece that goes in the drawbar.

I'll give him that it does do a beastly job with stretching once you get around it. Be VERY careful if you try one.

Most commercial tuggers seem to be more 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 width, and after some research i found that there's a more restorer-size version of a hitch ball.

Curt # 40093 replacement ball for a 1-1/4 inch trailer sway control. It's part of a damper system for a trailer hitch to help prevent the 'Tail from wagging the Dog'. It's shank is in a 5/8 thread with a 1-3/4 long threaded portion to add weights to.

i'm unsure if it's a stainless or a hard chrome. it's not polished, so cleaning is a more detailed event.

If you can't convince yourself if you should drop the coin on a tugging weight yet, it's a cheap experiment.
    Saying someone is "Unmutilated" is like saying "Unsweet Tea". So you mean it's just Tea, in its natural state, that nobody has screwed up? It can't be Un- anything

Originally posted by Frizzen View Post
    Over on another restoring board, one of the more advanced men mentioned using a 1 7/8" trailer hitch ball as a weight. At under $10 us, that seemed like a nicer option to see if weights work with your lifestyle. This is the USA style hitch which bolts to a coupler that goes in the drawbar, not the Euro style curved forged piece that goes in the drawbar.

I'll give him that it does do a beastly job with stretching once you get around it. Be VERY careful if you try one.

Most commercial tuggers seem to be more 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 width, and after some research i found that there's a more restorer-size version of a hitch ball.

Curt # 40093 replacement ball for a 1-1/4 inch trailer sway control. It's part of a damper system for a trailer hitch to help prevent the 'Tail from wagging the Dog'. It's shank is in a 5/8 thread with a 1-3/4 long threaded portion to add weights to.

i'm unsure if it's a stainless or a hard chrome. it's not polished, so cleaning is a more detailed event.

If you can't convince yourself if you should drop the coin on a tugging weight yet, it's a cheap experiment.
    Interesting. My trouble is, the tape seems not to like heavy weights. I wonder if I should try duct tape again...
    PROGRESS GALLERY

Comment

How heavy is the weight you are using? I use a clock weight which weights 35 ounces. There is no difficulty with the tape I use. The tape used is Transpore by 3M. Over that I apply a double layer of ordinary masking tape. So far there has been no slippage. The device is worn between 1 and 2 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by J9+stk View Post
        How heavy is the weight you are using? I use a clock weight which weights 35 ounces. There is no difficulty with the tape I use. The tape used is Transpore by 3M. Over that I apply a double layer of ordinary masking tape. So far there has been no slippage. The device is worn between 1 and 2 hours.
        I am up to 40 ounces. But the problem is the oils from my skin. If my skin is clean there is no issue... Sometimes it is a bit of a chore, when I want to just throw on the device.
        PROGRESS GALLERY

Comment

I find that the tape mentioned above does a good job of holding. The masking tape is as a backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Frizzen View Post

I'm going to try this. Ideas for how to attach weights to the threaded end of the hitch ball?

Comment

So far i've just been just using nexcare absolutely waterproof tape. The tan-ish stretchy tape.

i've been wondering about some way to go tapeless, maybe trying something like a cut down silicone funnel or toilet flapper

Roll over the ball, hold the tape slightly under tension as you apply so the skin doesn't pinch due to the curve and smash down well. If you tape all on skin it's a bit less stable, but if you tape at the rollover and get some tape up onto the hitch it gives more secure hold since it can't glide out from you. If you really want to go crazy, tape just skin, then do another layer half overlap skin and hitch.

After some adjustment time, i've actually been using the 1 7/8" hitch ball a lot more than the 1 1/4", and its really been helping with some malopposition i have at scar that can sometimes get angry.

As for attaching more weight, i haven't tried more than adding some nuts to the shanks yet. I'd found another thread about using 'ball stretcher' weights to help isolate ventral skin to help with peniscrotal webbing

For extra weight i'd probably go with something like a barrel nut, or make some kind of loop that fits over the shank and secures with a nut. Maybe cross-drill something

The 1 1/4" hitch is about
              The 1 7/8" hitch is about 1.6 pounds.
              Last edited by Frizzen; 10-29-2019, 09:47 PM.
              Saying someone is "Unmutilated" is like saying "Unsweet Tea". So you mean it's just Tea, in its natural state, that nobody has screwed up? It can't be Un- anything

Comment

Working...
              X